Battlefield: Bad Company --- Review & Discussion

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by Parm289, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok, I just got this game today, played it for a couple hours, and wanna write a review so we can discuss the game and debate some of its issues. Bear with me - I'm on my iPod so the formatting won't be extra slick and there may be some typos. I might edit this later.

Battlefield: Bad Company Review

Battlefield: Bad Company is a first-person shooter for PS3/XB360 that features a deep, cinematic singleplayer campaign and a rich multiplayer experience. Bf:BC's claim to fame is its new, fully destructable environment. This feature is displayed prominently in the multiplayer game mode. In addition to the ambient environment, BC also shines in its fully immersive high-definition audio.

So let's begin.

Let's start with multiplayer. When you navigate into the multiplayer menu from the game's main menu screen, you are greeted by the usual quick play and custom match options. Most people will go into custom match to choose the map and game type they prefer.

Wait, game type? BC only has one - Gold Rush (I.e. Attack/defend). That's right, only ONE game type.

In gold rush, there are two teams - attackers and defense. The objective of the attackers is to destroy the sets of Gold Crates that are placed on the map. The defenders obviously are obligated to defend the cases (you'll see why I say "obligated," and not "required," in a little bit...). Its a basic game mode at its core - but luckily, we can count on the BF devs to provide us with a twist. There are three sets of two cases each that are placed at three separate locations on each map. The sets are placed in a linear format that corresponds to the natural progression of the map and gameplay. When a set of gold crates is destroyed, the teams focus on the next set in the progression as the defenders retreat while the attackers advance. This element of gameplay adds realism and a "war-like feel" to the game.

The progression of the game is motly dependent on three things - the skill of each team, the teamwork and communication of each team, and the map/terrain. If a team has superior players, the match will end quickly in that team's favor. Teamwork is important for medics, snipers, and vehicle operators in order to survey the battlefield and keep up with the game's quick pace. The enemy targeting system, where any enemy that has been shot at or detected by a motion sensor is identified with an orange dot in the field and on the minimap, highly accelerates the identification of enemies and marks them for execution.

I am not going to comment on each of the maps, but I will say a few things in general. Some maps are designed to heavily favor one side or another (attack vs defend), and playing on these maps can be frustrating because it is nearly impossible to alter the natural course of battle. However, there are a few maps such as oasis and end of the line that feature balanced and fun gameplay.

My iPod keyboard is lagging like crazy right now. I'm going to continue this in multiple posts to make life easier. PLEASE DO NOT POST OR COMMENT ON THIS THREAD YET! It is not complete and I want all my posts to be at the top. Thank you.
  2. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    (cont.)

As in all BF games, there is heavy vehicle use on some maps. There are tanks, helicopters, and jeeps that help provide transportation across the huge maps and provide heavy artillery. Vehicles can either help or hurt your team -if the other team can defend their base with mortar, helicopters , or rocket launchers, then vehicles simply expose you to the enemy. However, if vehicles are used wisely and blitzes are planned and coordinated, vehicles can be damn hard to beat. This adds another demension of gameplay - remember that BC has fully destructable environments. Tanks can bowl through walls and helicopters can expose potential indoor sniper spots.

There can be a lot of strategy to destroying the environment, such as opening new points of view, exposing the enemy team's valuable indoor sniping spots, etc. I'm not gonna go into all the strategy right now. I'll leave this up to discussion, in part because I don't even know all he possible strategy.

The downside to having only objective-based gameplay is the lack of motivation to defend or attack the objective. Some people are more inclined to simply fight for themselves and try to level up or boost their K/D ratio. This is the type of person that is detrimental to the team and game - BF is all about the objectives. A point for discussion: would opening the traditionally closed multiplayer of BF to game modes such as team deathmatch elimnate these "individual players" from the OBJ modes?

And now for a short singleplayer analysis. BF:BC has a unique singleplayer mode in that the game's main objective is to make you feel as immersed in the environment as humanly possible. Of course, at the user's end, this is best acheieved with HD and surround sound (orgasmic). The dialogue between squadmates is utterly realistic and humorous, and is characteristic of the rejects that they are. While viewing cutscenes or slogging through the non-action gameplay, you really feel as if you are a part of the Bad Company.

The storyline is a bit too heroic for me. Basically, your four-person squad takes on entire Russian and Arab armies at will. Yes this makes for better gameplay, but still a bit too heroic for me.

More keyboard lagginess, so graphics and sound in the next post...
  3. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    (cont.)

On an HD plasma screen, the graphics were pretty amazing. Explosions looked and felt realistic, debris flew in paths dictated by real-world physics, and gun models look pretty accurate. Buildings and trees look great when they are partially destroyed, and the destruction is seemingly random - you don't see many destroyed buildings repeated. The HUD is unrestricting, although BC suffers from the small, unreadable font problem on non-HD TVs.

When hooked up to my 6-channel surround sound set (oh boy did the parents get pissed...), BC sounded amazingly realistic. The sound was a little too focused out of the center and front channels for my taste, but that can be changed with fiddling around with the settings. On my standard config, the gun reloading and firing sounds were the only ones that sounded truly surround - explosives were always filtered through the center channel, as was dialog no matter which way the player faces, and the sound when far away was just filtered through the center channel at a lower volume. I had the game set to home theater sound, but I'm fairly sure some tweaking of my receiever would do the trick.

So, that's all I have to say right now. Here are my ratings (each out of 10, overall is NOT an average):

Graphics: 8 (Some of the textures are a little bland, but the destructible environments look amazing in HD)

Sound: 8.5 (Surround sound is immersve. Guns sound very realistic and dialog is humorous and stays in character at all times throughout the campaign)

Gameplay: 8 (Fully desctructible environments are revolutionary, only one multiplayer game mode is limiting, but a second is coming out as a free update soon)

Presentation: 6 (Average menus)

Replayability: 7 (Although there is only one game mode as of yet, each class is different in the field and each battle is different with destructible environments)

Singleplayer: 7.5 (Not sure about length, but mostly everyhing else is fun, and AI isn't bad)

Multiplayer: 9 (revolutionary gameplay and overall fun factor add in to the 9)

OVERALL: 8.5/10
    Just short of a must-have. Will definitely be fun playing through the campaign and multiplayer with squadmates.

I hope you enjoyed reading the review. Feel free to discuss your thoughts, my opinions, and anything else about this great game here.

Due to keyboard lag, sorry for any formatting issues and typo. I'll edit them later.
  4. dualcorex

dualcorex New Member

bad company is fun except for the tanks. they kill people too fast. and the respawn time? give me a break dude. way too long.
    ill still get it though. now should i go gold or regular?
  5. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    But you can balance the tanks with mortar and demo class - its just that nobody wants to be the demo class or sit in a turret all day...

...and I say just get the regular. Gold gets you a couple weapons that you'd normally get at the last rank, which is only 25. Plus, some of the other unlocksble weapons are just as good - you might even like them better (like M16, which is pretty beast).
  6. Led

Led Banned

I downloaded the demo on my 360 and it seemed okay. The guys in bad company seem a little too crazy but they were pretty funny. The best and probably my only favorite innovation was the destructable environment. And the graphics were good as well.
  7. AlexRADL

AlexRADL Retired Moderator

The demo map was way too big for 8v8. Also, the one game mode online definitely turned me off. I was going to pick it up until I played the demo. I'll probably rent it.
  8. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Dude, i read in my game informer that they are putting free downloadable content for more multiplayer maps
  9. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I played the demo last night, and the multi player was just down right confusing.
  10. x6blues

x6blues New Member

I have it and it's pretty straightforward. How is it confusing for you?

As for the game itself, it's one of my favorite games =P
    Much fun.