Battery usage VS Keeping it plugged in

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Teckarts, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Teckarts

Teckarts New Member

I know Ipod batteries have limited recharge cycles.
    I'm using my Ipod 8 hours every day, including 6hours at the office to listen to music.
    I have to charge it every day and don't want to use up the battery in 1.5years...

Would any of you think that keeping an Ipod plugged in on AC current
    (via an outlet-to-usb-to synch cable) for a day's usage instead of recharging every day would be a good way to extend battery life?

Thanks.
  2. Don G.

Don G. New Member

This is a very good question. I have a plug at work that I could use but I'm to lazy. If I knew that it would actually help I would definetly make sure to use it more often though.
  3. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It doesnt make a difference.

But the ipod touch battery doesnt like to go completely flat (i mean wont turn on at all, not even to show you the empty battery)
  4. cameleon1267

cameleon1267 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I would say that you will save your battery if you keep it plugged at work instead of doing a complete charge and discharge cycle but I might be wrong.

this is just my idea after reading some other thread about this on this forum.
  5. Don G.

Don G. New Member

Yeah I would figure that it would help so I guess I'll try keeping it plugged in from now on when I'm at work. You're essentially avoiding using any battery by doing it this way so it makes sense that it would help.
  6. Tigerclaw

Tigerclaw New Member

Depending on the type of battery, sometimes leaving them "on charge" can damage them, or make them "wear out" quicker.

Luckily the iPod Touch battery is NOT one of these batteries. It is a Lithium Ion battery and leaving your iPod Touch plugged in will do NO damage to your battery. Futher more, if the Touch is plugged in, it does NOT use the battery, therefore saving on re-charges. Saving on charges ultimately will make the battery last longer.

This is all THEORY of course, I don't believe any long term tests have been carried out. But searching for batttery infomation has come up with the above information.

Hope this helps anyone worried about charging their batteries.
  7. ur_so_beautiful

ur_so_beautiful New Member

yeah the electrons will constantly be moving around, so they won't like die or nothing if you keep it plugged in.
  8. nick14

nick14 New Member

ya keeping it plugged in would be better i think
  9. vipfreak

vipfreak New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I do whatever. Worring about charging is pretty much a thing of the past most of the time unless I'm a dumbass and forget to plug it in somewhere some how.