Battery time touch 2

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by vanluuk, Sep 14, 2008.

1. vanluuk

vanluuk New Member

I have a new touch for 2 days now....

had some wifi wpa issues, but solved this after a full restore.

but still the battery time is kinda...short

wifi draws the battery way fast... and i already have PUSH on OFF...

what about other people with the NEW touch, how is the battery time?
  2. Shadowriver

Shadowriver Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Try to Reduce backlight brightness too, it's propebly higher then you truly need ;]
  3. vanluuk

vanluuk New Member

4. ChukiChu

ChukiChu New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I was reading around and i found that you could try a full restore and afterward turn off auto push and wifi off and try it on standby and see if it drains overnight.
  5. varungadre

varungadre New Member

Hmm

Ive done a full discharge and recharge cycle...and that drastically improved the battery life. I get about 18 hours of music using pandora, and 4 hours of video with wifi on, So it really is not that bad. Try the energy recycle it should help you out.
  6. wormyalon

wormyalon New Member

unnecessary cycling

Lithium batteries do not benefit from full discharge/recharge cycles like ni-cad and nimh batteries do. Lithium batteries have no memory effect like nicads and nimhs, the only guidelines for maintaining your battery during everyday use are keeping it away from excessive heat and making sure to not over-discharge (the ipod will shut off before it hits the low voltage cut off point anyway so you don't have to worry about this one).
  7. meganli

meganli New Member

yeah my battery life isnt too great
  8. Ratslayr

Ratslayr New Member

This is wrong. It is not a memory effect but a necessary break-in period. It is true that they will not suffer the memory effect like older ni-cads, but the lithiums do benefit from the first few cycles being full discharges and in many cases will even gain slightly higher capacity then marked.
  9. wormyalon

wormyalon New Member

The break in period, while extremely controversial, is a part of most manufacturers recommendations (and when I say manufacturers I mean battery manufacturers not device manufacturers). However the capacity to which you discharge it to really has nothing to do with break in according to most manufacturers, what's important during the break in process is the rate at which you discharge it (again something you don't have to worry about with a device like the ipod). Some manufacturers recommend discharging to 50% for the first 5 cycles, some don't mention a specific capacity to discharge to, and they almost always vary in the number of initial break in cycles (usually in the range of 5-10 cycles) but they all agree on keeping the discharge rate low during break in cause that's the biggie (ipod owners need not worry).

Also I mentioned this was controversial, most people don't even do a break in, and many people have done tests and comparisons and find very little or no difference between a properly broken in battery and an improperly broken in one.
    I'd post a link to some thorough guidelines for lithium batteries but it's against the rules and pretty much useless to ipod owners since 90% of the info doesn't even apply.