battery test

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jiakai_ln, Sep 20, 2010.

1. jiakai_ln

jiakai_ln Member

this is the first ipod touch i own
    and i was kinda disappointed at the battery life
    one fully charged only laste about 3 1/2 hours on gaming only
    so i use the battery up and fully charged it for a battery test
    so overall i only used it for 4h12min.
    -had my brightness up to about 35-40%
    -played 2d games only about 2 hours
    -surfing web and streamin online video(not youtube)about 2 hours
    -volume 35%
    i didnt use it to listen music or movie i transfer from itune cause i kno it would last long so i didnt test that
    is this normal?
    is my battery defective?
    anyone have a better battery life?
  2. r56mcs

r56mcs Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    games do that. it is normal.
  3. iDestiny

iDestiny Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Internet's normal as well.
  4. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Battery is not defective. Turn down the brightness a little if you can to squeeze every minute from your battery. At around 12%-25% battery, I can actually get a solid 5 hours of gaming/videos/web, and an uncountable hours of music playback, mail and Facebook are multitasking. Also delete the apps in your background (sometimes they are doing things in the background and drain the battery quicker).

Also, I've noticed (but it might just be a placebo effect), that if you drain your battery under 20%, then charge it up, it lasts longer. Again, something I've noticed, but really can't prove.
  5. jiakai_ln

jiakai_ln Member

the thing is me n my cousin we both ordered our ipod touch online from apple and when i did a battery test with him mine was always 5% less than his
  6. tinyman392

Device:
    iPhone 6
    How did you measure this. The apps in the AppStore are not as accurate (they are accurate within 10%, some say 5%). Unless you have percentage showing on the status bar (iPhone only; unless you restored through a jailbreak backup), then there is no accurate way to determine battery percentage. It's whoever hits 20%, and stays below 20% (It can go back up if you stop doing battery draining tasks). You can't measure that with percentages.
  7. Indestructible

Indestructible Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    gaming for 2 hours and then internet for another 2?

That sounds just about right.

Gaming sucks the battery life of any generation iPod. This is because of the high fps, high cpu usage, audio playback, touch screen/accelerometer continuous being activated, and at times constant wifi connection.

To do a real test, have it play a full movie from 100% charge, or have it play music non stop from full charge. Then compare those # with that on Apples website.
  8. tinyman392

Device:
    iPhone 6
    But then you have to turn off auto brightness, turn the brightness all the way down, turn off wifi, turn off bluetooth, only have music multitasking (or videos), and keep it locked once it starts playing don't change songs, and keep it on shuffle. When it stops, you stop the timer. When advertising times, Apple squeezes every (I mean EVERY) once of battery they can get.
  9. jiakai_ln

jiakai_ln Member

me n my cus both have battery life pro installed
    we would put the same game or movies on for hours
    than turn it off open the battery app
    hes is always 5% more
    every setting is set the same
  10. tinyman392

Device:
    iPhone 6
    With a 5-10% error rate, you could be 5% higher than him, 15% lower than him, or anywhere in between. It's not really a good tool for comparison.

Just do this to compare the batteries (controlled experiment). Put the brightness up 100% on both iPods. Set autolock to never on both iPods. Let both iPods drain completely (100%). Plug them in at the same time (after complete drain). Wait 10 minutes. Power them up at the same time. Log in. And let them sit there. Wait for both of them to get the "plug" icon on the battery meter on the status bar. Unplug both at the same time. Let them die. They should both die relatively at the same time (within minutes, not seconds).

Note, this could take a couple hours to do. Which might be a lot of time away from your shiny new iDevices.