battery replacement + dead device

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nightking, Aug 3, 2010.

1. nightking

nightking New Member

Hello,

I've wanted to replace my battery on my 1st gen Touch. I've opened it up, connected to old wires and it was working properly, i've charged it. so I wanted to solder it to motherboard, and later my iPod won't boot up. apple logo for a few seconds and white screen. I was trying to solder it again, so I dissambled my ipod completly. now it is not starting at all. is it the end? of course I've connected all tapes. it is no matter that i'm trying to boot it up with or without battery. it dosen't respond. everytime i plug my usb cable nothing happens. please, help me!

maybe i've cuted a lines on mohterboard while i was soldering? really, i don't know what is going on.

one more thing. do I need a battery to show anything on screen while i connect my ipod to usb? probably not, but i just want to make sure that i killed my ipod

Please Register or Log in to view images

p.s sorry for my poor english.
  2. nightking

nightking New Member

anyone?

just one question - is it possible to get any signs of life iPod 1st gen without battery, only with USB (whatever, even an apple logo on lcd)? i think it is possible, but can someone correct me if i'm wrong?
  3. amonti

amonti New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Did you follow this step when soldering the wires to the board?

"Important: Make sure you don't overheat the board. Take a 2 minute pause between wires to ensure the board does not overheat."

This is because all those bloody little components start to join and lift if the board becomes too hot. My guess is that one or more of the components around the battery cable solder points is shorting out.

Signs of life should show up with a wall charger, but if something is shorted out, it more than likely won't matter. If you have an inspection lens, you can carefully look at each component on the board to see if the solder reflowed.