battery meter accuracy and partial charging question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by katakonik, Oct 10, 2008.

1. katakonik

katakonik New Member

Does anyone here also find the battery meter (the one that appears at the top right) to be very inaccurate? I've had my 2G Touch (2.1.1 firmware) for a week now and have noticed that it is. After 2-3 hours of gaming, the battery meter will show 20-30% left and then raise to 40% after idling for a few minutes in the springboard. Once I plug it into my computer to charge, it will reveal a larger battery at the center of the screen and show that it REALLY has 60% left rather than what the top right meter says.

With the above in mind, is it okay to partially charge the battery? Say you have 60% battery left and you just want to plug it in to your computer (which will automatically charge it) to put some songs on and then unplug it? Does partial charging hurt the battery?

Thanks.
  2. SunBoom

SunBoom New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah, my meter isn't exactly accurate either.
    I use 2.1 here, but same problems. I don't know if it occurse with the 1G, though (with the same firmware).

What I do know, is that it doesn't harm your battery.
  3. callum-m-r

callum-m-r New Member

I think the reason it jumps is it's trying to predict how long it will last if you continue with whatever you're doing with it.
    If you keep playing the games, it's gonna last a shorter amount of time so it predicts that and lowers the meter.
    If you're on standby it can last a lot longer so the battery is effectively at a higher level.

It's adaptive basically

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Isuck_09

Isuck_09 New Member

yep I got the exact issue exactly how u explain it but I'm running the 2.2 update firmware it still happens to mine after using wifi it gets low for like 20-25% after using it and switch to sleep mode after just about 20-45secs it increased the battery level for about 10-15% and if I plug to iTunes or ipod charging adapter it displays the battery to as high as 50% automaticly and a one time happen while I'm using wifi I got a charge lvl for about 45% just after I closed the safari browser a message pops up saying ur charge lvl is low 20% wat a weird device ,,,but I love it
  5. Coasterboi

Coasterboi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    There's a jailbreak mod that replaces the meter with a percentage number. The adaptive battery meter is cool though