Battery Life

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Dingo69, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Dingo69

Dingo69 New Member

Hey all, well in Switzerland the Itouch have been selling faster than the stores could get them so a mate got one for me on his last trip to the US, saved USD100 also which I'm not complaining about.

First hi to all my first post here;

I did a search for battery and recharge but only found topics of battery icons and such so if there is already a topic sorry for the extra post.

I wish to understand the battery life of the Itouch, I have had my Ipod for about 4 years and except for the original battery issue where Apple replaced the orginal battery it has ran great for those years with regular battery recharge but I always max the recharge so the Ipod was only placed on the recharged when it was almost totally flat.

With the Itouch I am looking at getting a desktop speakers/charger/PC USB connector set but was worried that every time I place the Ipod on the docking station it would start to charge it and therefore till the battery life, is this still the case?
  2. emissary

emissary New Member

It's actually better for a lithium-ion battery to be charged a small amount many times, then to be fully drained and recharged each time. A full charge puts a lot more stress on the battery than a number of small ones. When they talk about the number of charges a battery can handle, it's the number of full charges, not every instance of charging.
  3. bowman13139

bowman13139 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Right emissary, but the Li-on battery also has a "memory" which, if not drained and charged completly will start to deminish at the upper and lower ends
  4. emissary

emissary New Member

My understanding is that they have no memory. However, over time the battery charge meter will get miscalibrated and won't accurately reflect how much charge is left in the battery. A full discharge and then charge recalibrates the meter.

This has more than anyone needs to know about li-ion batteries.
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
  5. taz

taz New Member

emissary, Thanks for the info. Ive been charging and discharging my ipod fully forever. Guess I was wrong.
  6. Necro

Necro New Member

Ok, so now i learned its best not to use all the batterypower...
    Is it ok to charge the iPod over night so it is like 8h on power or is it better to charge it in the daytime for 2-3h?
  7. Rawd

Rawd New Member

You can leave it on for 50 hours if you like, with no harmful affects. I leave mine plugged in, or docked, about 90% of the the time.
  8. AutoItKing

AutoItKing New Member

To sum it all up:
    Li-Ions have no memory, so you can charge and de-charge it many times without losing any charge.
    Charge often and early. NEVER let it hit rock bottom. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER! Seriously. It's bad.
    And charging it for a week won't damage it. Once the battery is full it goes to trickle charging to keep it fully charged. Does no damage.
    What people have to realize is that Li-Ion's are not like other rechargeable batteries that blow up if you overcharge them. Any electronic with them in it has battery protection hardware and software to make sure the battery has a long and safe life. Search it on Wikipedia and read.
  9. jd-08

jd-08 New Member

This is a great thread - and thanks to all for the great info... I've wondered about the batteries for both my iPhones and Touch....

Great thread.

JD
  10. Dingo69

Dingo69 New Member

Hey great guys, thanks must say considering I have been treating my old Ipod for 4 years on an old myth it has lasted a long time. I normally let it hit bottom or almost bottom before charging it.

If the new ones last as long as my old 1 did I will remain a happy IPod user.