Battery life of first generation Touch from mid-to-late 2007

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Darlyn, May 15, 2010.

?

How has your original first generation Touch from 2007 degraded?

1. Both speed and battery life have decreased

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. Only battery life has decreased

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Only speed has decreased

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. No change in speed or battery life

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Darlyn

Darlyn Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Battery life and other woes of first generation Touch from mid-to-late 2007

This thread concerns those of us who purchased a mid-to-late 2007 first generation iPod Touch. Lithium-ion batteries apparently last about two years, and my old Touch already has a significantly decreased amount of battery life than when I first started using it in 2007. Obviously, the introduction of new firmwares has also added extra strain to a device originally built for the relatively simplified 1.x.x days.

To those of you who own a model from this time period, how bad has your battery life become? In addition to terrible battery life, my device is extremely slow now, and no amount of restoration will do ameliorate this issue. What have you guys experienced on your end?

Edit Some additional stuff: I've experienced additional performance degradations. Launching, running, and even closing apps takes considerable longer than it used to mere months before on the same firmware release. When plugged into a computer, the iPod does not realize it is attached to a sync cable until you wake it (though that may have nothing to do with the device itself.) Safari is noticeably more unstable, with crashes occurring with increased frequency.

We'll see whether that new iPhone that will be announced next week is worth getting over an spanking new third generation Touch.
  2. sdschramm

sdschramm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Compared to my cellphone, digital camera, and other devices that use lithium-ion batteries I find my iPod SUPERIOR in battery life. I have never owned a piece of equipment that has had a battery that has lasted this long. Sure, it has lost some of its life, but the fact that it is still holding a charge that lasts 3 days or so (used to go all week long) is pretty decent.

As far as speed, yes, it has decreased a lot, but on the other hand, my iPod can do a lot more then it could back on 1.1.1 when there were no apps, hacks, etc. (well, that is until appsnap and jailbreakme.com! lolol)

In conclusion, I'm sticking with my first gen iPod touch until the Verizon iPhone comes out on June 22nd. I got my iPod touch in Sept of 2007, so the fact that is has lasted almost three years and is still running, is really amazing.
  3. icebreaker

icebreaker New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    no it isnt
  4. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    My trusty device didn't slow or decrease in battery life to any extent that I seriously noticed it, the only reason I upgraded to a third gen was because the screen was cracked and it got water damaged
  5. Darlyn

Darlyn Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I've experienced additional performance degradations. Launching, running, and even closing apps takes considerably longer than it used to mere months before, on the same firmware release. When plugged into a computer, the iPod does not realize it is attached to a sync cable until you wake it (though that may have nothing to do with the device itself.) Safari is noticeably more unstable, with crashes occurring with increased frequency.
  6. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    My first gen touch's battery was always pretty good, and I never saw performance get worse to the point I noticed it...
  7. Darlyn

Darlyn Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Keyword "was". I'm guessing you didn't use it up to the point where performance issues would be noticeable.

I suppose that it could depend on use, and you might just be part of a lucky few. Mine was going through 5-10 hours per day of use, for three years. I know of someone who has a mid-2008 first generation and is experiencing the same battery life and performance shortcomings as my mid-2007 device.
  8. evilish2236

evilish2236 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    My ipod touch first gen has not decreased in battery life at all in my opinion. The thing has even better wifi connect-ability than the newer ipod touches (comparing to my brothers/friends 3g's).
  9. canardo93

canardo93 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    When I had my 1G I noticed over two years quite a large scale slowing and battery was draining extremely fast, maybe my fault, idk, but i got a 2G anyway.