Battery Life @ my scenario + nano 2G like display without backlight

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by vbtricks, Jan 6, 2009.

1. vbtricks

vbtricks New Member

Salut,

I'm right before buying me an iPod touch 2G. The only issue left is the battery life. I did some internet research about it but all the relevant threads focus on the battery at a stretch, e.g. about 36h constant music playback, 6h videos or 4h games (depending on the cpu usage).

My situation differs a bit. At the moment I'm using an iPod nano 2G when driving to university. 45mins one direction, two times each workday. With my nano 2G I'm getting about two weeks till I have to recharge the device.

Now I read that switching on the touch 2G from "deep sleep" (meaning after long press of the standby-button) consumes a lot of power (tough I think that it causes a high amperage what causes the capacity bar to temporary display a lower remaining battery life). But that's the way I'd be using it, as there are long pauses between driving to university and back again.

Do you think at least one week of usage (just music, sometimes skipping; no games or videos) before recharging would be possible? Recharging every (two) days or so would be quite annoying.

And another question:
    When I start music and don't press the standby button after a while the background light is turned off, but the screen content keeps getting refreshed (just like on the nano 2G).
    Does this consume (relevant) more power (meaning loss of > 1h music playback) than pressing the standby buttons shortly to turn off the screen completely?
    Because I really like to have a look at the screen to see which track I'm currently listening to without having to turn on the background light.

Thanks in advance,

Stefan
  2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Stick with your nano. If you're only using it for music you'll be wasting money forking out for an iPod Touch.

However in answer to your questions, turning the device on and off only causes a short insignificant burst of power drain. The screen uses up power if it is open and the backlight is on. It will of course consume less if the backlight is off/dimmed and even less if you put into standby with a quick press of the power button.

If you turn all background services off (WiFi, Bluetooth etc.)and lock the screen when listening to music you should get 3-4 weeks use out it under the usage conditions you specified. But as I said, if you aren't using the iPod Touch for all its other functionality then there's little point in getting one.

Also - have you thought about getting a car charger (powered from the cigarette lighter)? The batteries in these things like to be as full as possible, unless they are being stored for long periods.
  3. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    he's right with that one. I totally agree. Get an iPod car charger or just a USB car charger.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. vbtricks

vbtricks New Member

Well, I'm getting to university by public transport, so a car charger is not really an option

. Sry for missing that option.

Well, of course I'm intending to watch some movies or using the integrated Calender (which is readonly on the nano only) and Notes. Pictures are nice as well. But the main application will be listening to music.
    I just wanted to block those comments like "You will have to recharge it every two days anyway as you're always playing games, watching videos.." right from the start.

Thank you both for your help
  5. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    When I play music on my touch, it usually last for 10hrs. So I'm saying maybe if you play 1hr of music everyday, you iPod will last for 9 to ten days. lol. It was a rough estimate though.
  6. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No probs, though you did say 'when driving to university' so you can see why we recommended the charger. Unless you have a private train or something!
  7. xDMONEY814x

xDMONEY814x New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I know you think if you got a Touch you would only be listening to music. I guarantee though, after browsing the App store and whatnot, you would do more than just listen to music. I think you should grab one, regardless of the battery life, cause they sweet.
  8. vbtricks

vbtricks New Member

No, poor student with bad English skills

9. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Who's he talking about?

definitly not me.
  10. vbtricks

vbtricks New Member

I'm talking about me. But if you're not speaking German as good as I do English, I do not have to be ashamed about my language skills