Battery Life Increase with 1.1.3/32GB over 16GB

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by Complexis, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Complexis

Complexis Retired Moderator

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Just an interesting observation from an article posted from NewsOXY pointing out the 32GB iPod Touch having a longer battery life than the 16GB.

-------------
    Apple has found a way to squeeze more life out of a battery charge. With the 1.1.1 iPod touch software my iPod touch played music continuously for just under 17 hours—five hours short of Apple’s claim of 22 hours of continuous audio play. My new 32GB iPod touch, running software version 1.1.3, played for 26 hours and 36 minutes—four and a half hours longer than Apple’s estimate. As with the test files on my 16GB iPod touch, these were AAC files encoded at 128kbps of lengths between two and six minutes. WiFi was switched on and EQ and Sound Check turned off. Screen brightness and volume were set in the middle, and the touch was configured to Auto-Lock after one minute.

At this point I don’t know what to attribute the increased playtime to—whether there’s something special about the 32GB iPod touch or the latest software manages power better. With that in mind, I’m retesting the audio playtime on my old 16GB iPod touch (which is running the 1.1.3 software and includes the $20 add-on application pack) to see if the latest software gives the battery a boost. I’ll post results when I have them.
    ------------
  2. VViper

VViper New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    That's quite interesting, I wonder if it is purely software, cutting down on background processes or their power consumption. Please update when this guy has done the test on the 16GB on 1.1.3. Would be interesting to know.
  3. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Perhaps the new iPods simply ship with a newer/better/higher capacity battery?
  4. Complexis

Complexis Retired Moderator

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Naw, it can't be as the specs are not updated on Apple's site in terms of battery life.