Battery Length

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Reaper2794, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Reaper2794

Reaper2794 Banned

The 2G iPod Touch claims to run with music for 36 hours with a full battery.

Now I am guessing the screen takes up power and like a few hidden things in the background to make the iPod Touch run.

I hold the home button on all my apps till they are shut off.

However, it seems my battery runs out within a few hours. Even if they are being tricky and saying 36 hours with JUST music as if nothing else was taking power, it should still run music for maybe 10-15 hours at the lease.

My battery runs out faster than that. Any ideas?

Also my brightness is less than half as well so even if that was the case, it shouldn't even affect it that much.

Also does anyone know a FREE app that let's me see what I'm running. It CANNOT require JailBreak as I have a 2G.

~ Reaper ~
  2. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

There's a thread on the 2G battery life in the iPod Touch 2G forum - but it seems much shorter than it should be.

And no, there are no apps which let you view processes - not in JB, not in App Store; the former hasn't had one ported, and the latter doesn't let you run anything that goes outside the sandbox... and a process viewer would not work with the App Store rules.
  3. Rob The Stranger

Rob The Stranger New Member

i havent noticed any batt "defects"

when i first got my itouch 2nd gen i let it run playing much with a time next to it and i finally couldnt live without the touch so i had to stop it at just over 23 hours with nothing but music playing and i have watched two full length movies on it while still having a little batt life left so i think apple is living up to what there saying,

but you have to remember things that take up more batt life are

wifi
    pushing
    anything besides the defualt settings.

if you want to test it out make sure you are under the 200 charge untill batt decrease and click restore defaults then test it out.

also make sure you havent jailbroken it as that will decrease batt life.
  4. Reaper2794

Reaper2794 Banned

I said my iPod Touch is 2G. It isn't jailbroken and can't be.

I have wifi enabled but pushing is on manual. The only thing is fetches right now is mail.

I'll turn off wifi a lot from now on but yea..
  5. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

This measurement is taken with the following:

WiFi off
    Non-jailbroken
    Freshly restored
    Low volume
    Never turning the screen on
  6. dieselboy27

dieselboy27 New Member

Basically the times that apple states are not real world useage statistics. There is no one that would merely press play and leave their iPod on. I'm constantly changing songs, using wifi etc. So, when you add all that up you end up with about 3.5 hours of real useage. Which is still not bad considering what it's doing.
  7. Ruud91

Ruud91 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

Please Register or Log in to view images

lol apple doesn't live in the real world so for them it is perfect

But as I am reading this i think that my 1g isn't even that bad at all

, my ipod does all of that with a even longer battery live

hm.. except for the speaker and the design, I see only bad things about the 2G
    *hugs ipod*
  8. apple_ipod

apple_ipod Member

Are you surfing the web? Your battery will be flat around the 3hr mark.

Also, how many times have you charged the ipod? If it's still new, it takes a few full discharge for normal operation.

If the battery drains quickly, could be a defective batt. = repair.
  9. Rob The Stranger

Rob The Stranger New Member

just having the wifi on can drain the batt, even if it is on sleep becuase there are still programs that function or run behind the sences, and one of thouse is the wifi, which is why if you put your touch on sleep then wake it up you will be connected to the wifi,
    it wastes batt by constantly checking for connection, almost every ten to twenty secends, even when your online using it.

i normally turn off the wifi once i leave my house and just turn on the music and leave it on all day. so its playing all day and i have only songs i like to listen to so i dont have to change the song so it just shuffles all day really