Battery Information iTouch 3rd Gen.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by perfectblunt, Dec 30, 2009.

1. perfectblunt

perfectblunt New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Okay, first of all label me a n00b and say to yourself before you slap your forehead "This topic has already been discussed, can't this guy read" okay, now slap your forehead.

Please Register or Log in to view images

It's just that I've read so many conflicting reports / studies / home studies / trial and error / Official iPod Summary Report and they state the same thing, when USING the iPod...not the charging cycles. I know to 1. Turn Of Wi-Fi 2. Turn Off Location Services 3. Auto-Lock Screen 4. Dim Backlight and Turn On Auto-Brightness ..blah blah blah

But herein lyes the issue I'm having a hard time understanding; How to get the most out of your battery in the long term. Basically charging cycles! Like "What amount of charge % constitutes a 'full' charge cycle" i.e. I get the warning that my batter is below 20%, I stop what I'm doing and plug it in, let it charge until it say's it's 100%. <-- Is that considered a 'charge cycle'? Cause from the way I understand it, each time we plug-in and un-plug our iPod's regardless of device charge, it counts as a 'cycle' and we only get 400 of these. Also, I was told never to let my iPod completely die (turn itself off due to lack of battery power) that this can short out the battery and cause it to not keep a charge in the future. BUT...to do this at least once a month so the "electrons" can flow and the batter L.E.D. .can "calibrate" see what I mean, confusing right?

Can someone please just break it down for me in easy-man terms? I've already allowed to iPod to completely die and recharged it fully, cause I thought that is what we were suppose to do to conserve the battery life. Did I already mess up my iPod? It's only 2 weeks old..but I've been doing this (die 100% / charge 100%) from the moment I opened it from the box. I notice when I plug it into the computer and pull up iTunes, according to the little battery display on the iTunes page, the battery charges FAST...like less then hour sometimes, and Apple says 2 hours of charge for 80% and up to 4 hours for 100%. But my iPod seems to be charging completely within 2 hours and dying within 5. I ran the "home test" ..let it charge to 100% dimmed the backlight, turned off wi-fi, did all that good stuff and watched 2 movies, totaling 4 hours total....the device went 3 1/2 hours and I get the "Less Then 20% Battery Charge Remaining" warning....did I mess up the battery?

Please Register or Log in to view images

If SOMEONE can please send me a private message explaining on how to charge my battery...please, don't hesitate to do so. I just spent $350.00 on a device that can't do anything unless I have outlet.
  2. Code Name_Raven

Code Name_Raven Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    tl;dr. But from what I did read, the iPod will get around 400 cycles beore the battery starts to lose it's charge. Nothing to worry about as this will be a very small and slow decrease. In other words, don't be too concerned and charge whenever you feel like it.

Edit: read this :http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114236
  3. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    • A charge cycle is a full 100% discharge of the battery... i.e. two discharges to 50% and subsequent recharges = one 100% charge cycle.

• Regular full discharges are not good for your battery. However you shoudl do a full discharge once a month so that the software battery meter can recalibrate to the actual battery capacity.

• You won't damage your iPod touch irreparably by not following these guidelines. However you will maximise your battery life, capacity and charge usage by following them.