Battery Drainage Problems and Solutions

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ali.bigolo, Oct 23, 2007.

1. ali.bigolo

ali.bigolo Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I noticed there are lots of threads regarding this problem, so here are some of the reasons as to why this could be happening with some solutions:

1. SSH and Wifi

Cause: When the SHH is turned on, the battery is drained quicker since your iPod keeps looking for devices to connect to over its Wifi and hence constantly using up battery.

Solution: Install "Services" listed under the Utilities category in the Installer and turn off SSH and Wifi when not using them

2. Draining when SSH if off

Cause: What most people don't know is that when the iPod is left connected to a PC that is not turned on (i.e. the PC is off or on standby for example over night or at school) the battery is drained rather than charged.

Solution: Don't leave your iPod connected to a USB port without power. I say without power since some ports still have power even when the PC is off. (From the iPod manual)

3. Draining when playing games

Cause: Kinda obvious, since the iPod is not really built as a gaming console

Solution: you could play less games

Please Register or Log in to view images

but for those addicts out there like meself turn everything else off if your battery life is all that important or keep recharging it.

4. Draining when all of the above is taken care of

Cause: When you close applications using the home button (i.e. single click) they are not really closed and are only in a sleep mode hence eating up battery.

Solution: When closing an application press and hold the home button for about 5 seconds (until the home screen is displayed) and this will force the application to close and hence stop it from using your valuable battery life.

5. restart eats battery

Cause: Since the iPod has its own OS (I won't go into details) rebooting it will consume some battery since it has to go through loading all the neccessary files in order to, well "boot up".

Solution: I personally can live with the small amount of battery loss when restarting, I believe rebooting reduces the chance of applications crashing but you could leave it on forever and save some extra battery in the long run

6. Submitted by robcoffee

Cause and Solution: I found that having the mail.app set to check mail at intervals (15 minutes or whatever) drains the battery even when the Ipod Touch is in sleep - I think it tries to check for mail even in the sleep mode. By setting it to manual I don't loose any power while it is in sleep mode at all.

Besides please use your common sense, for example enable the Auto-Lock functionality under general settings and turn on Auto-Brightness to help save some more battery after all iPod has a big screen which uses battery to light up

(You could also set the brightness to its lowest to save even more battery) you could also turn off sound effects or set to play from the Headphones only, since the tiny built in speaker uses battery aswell

Please feel free to add any more suggestion you may have or come accross in the future and I'll keep updating this aswell to avoid repeated posts which spoil the forum.

Ali
    1 person likes this.
  2. chrischris292

chrischris292 New Member

very good thanks for help!
  3. ali.bigolo

ali.bigolo Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    No problem, I think it's best to have it all in one place than all over the forum.

Ali
  4. lawlz_xD

lawlz_xD New Member

nice thread, I think this should be a sticky,haha.
  5. yonga

yonga New Member

Why would I need to turn on and use SSH in the first place?
    I transfer files via FTP. Works great and I assume I don't have the SSH-battary-drain problem?
  6. rhmyuen

rhmyuen New Member

Thanks. Great help, esp #4!

7. cinesnob

cinesnob New Member

Ah, I just learned what the initialization SSH stands for—after learning meaning of the nerd-word "ipoT" yesterday. Gotta love this forum!
  8. ali.bigolo

ali.bigolo Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    When you jailbreak your iPod SSH is automatically enabled on your iPod, so if you have jailbroken your iPod you have SSH running at the moment.

Besides when you use the secure File Transfer Protocol to access your iPod you are doing it over SSH (Secure SHell) anyway, so you are using SSH; only not through the terminal.

Ali
  9. ali.bigolo

ali.bigolo Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    lol Welcome to the forum
  10. ali.bigolo

ali.bigolo Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Ye I know most people dont know that.