Battery Drain when PC OFF

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 4dthinker, Dec 14, 2007.

1. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

My Touch was plugged into my PC and had a full charge when the ice storm hit Kansas and took away my electricity. I forgot about it for a few days, but then unplugged it from the dead PC to discover the battery was completely drained.

So two things might have happened. Without electricity the house temp dropped to about 50 degrees. The temperature might have affected the battery. I doubt this, though, as no other battery device in my house was notiocably affected by the cold.

The only other possibility I can imagine is that the Touch discharged itself back through the dock connection to the PC. There are several devices plugged into my USB hub/ports on that PC, and I'm not sure how interconnected the power feed is over USB. I can imagine that some other device that found no power from the PC still found power from the connected Touch battery to draw from, eventually draining that battery.

Any theories here?

4D.
  2. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Did you have ssh/ wifi on? I believe that with 1.1.2 the ipod still connects to the internet when it is in standby unless you turn them off. Since it couldn't find them, and was repeatedly searching for them it might have drained the battery.

I don't think that the temp change would do anything.
  3. AutoItKing

AutoItKing New Member

The temperature will not affect the battery. Low temperature is good for batteries.
    Many computers, when you turn them off, will draw power from any USB device, since the PS is no longer supplying it with power.
  4. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I find this also happens when i charge it with my 360. I dont have a wall charger yet, so i use my 360 to charge it overnight. But i have my 360 set to shut off after 6 hours, and in the morning, the battery is dead.
  5. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

So perhaps this ought to be posted as a Sticky, or at least added to a FAQ for the iPod Touch (and maybe ALL pods?).

Your iPod may discharge if left connected to a PC or other USB power source that is turned OFF.
  6. botchok5

botchok5 New Member

Yeah, this happened to me aswell, I made a thread about the same issue a couple of days ago, it does drain the battery if the USB connection doesnt have any source of power, it sayd it on the USER MANUAL.
  7. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Actually, Apple says that low temperatures will affect the battery - "You may find that playing an iPod or using an iPhone in a very cold environment decreases battery life." - http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Although I'm not sure if the temperatures you had would be low enough to really effect it significantly....
  8. kdm

kdm New Member

It definiately discharges when the PC is off. I went out today for a few hours with my iPod docked to my off PC and came home to the "Less than 20% Battery" message. I have had my iPod sitting around unpluged for much longer and battery drain is very minimal.