Basic questions about unlocking/jailbreaking an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EspEclipse9, Jan 18, 2009.

1. EspEclipse9

EspEclipse9 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey everyone, Im thinking about getting an iPhone and I just have a few basic questions on the subject of unlocking and where to get one. I have already looked through the forums for some answers and there are still some I havent seen. First off, where can I buy a refurbished iPhone? Or Can I buy an iPhone brand new without a contract, from a RETAIL store? Also, If you get a brand new iphone or a refurbished one, when you turn it on does the "Connect to iTunes" icon pop up? If that was so, when I register it to iTunes, does it automatically sign me up for a at&t plan?

Lastly, if I succeed in unlocking my iPhone, can i put my at&t sim from my motorola razor in it? It doesnt have a Data plan. If I can, will I be charged for using any additional services? (I know that i can disable edge and 3g with jb)

I know this is a lot, but I'd be thankful if you answered.
  2. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    As for where to get one, that subject is a little iffy. I would say to get a new one you will have to look online. If you want a 3G online is really the only place right now that you can get it off contract. But dont expect to pay the normal price. Its will be about $600 give or take. As far as i know AT&T is not yet selling refurbished iPhones without a contract.

iTunes will not give you a plan if it does not have a SIM card in it. Unlocking will let you put your older AT&T SIM in. But make sure you either upgrade to an unlimited DATA plan or jailbreak and turn all data services off before you put it in.
  3. EspEclipse9

EspEclipse9 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey Thanks for answering, but I read somewhere that you can get one from an apple retail store without a plan.

When I buy a brand new iphone, will it show the 'plug into itunes' icon like the ipod touch does when it is brand new? because if that is so then when I plug it into itunes the first time, am I supposed to take out the sim card first?

Thanks for answering
  4. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It will have that image and you should take the card out. You may have to jailbreak it right away before you even put it in itunes. im not sure if it will authorize it without having a SIM.