Bandwidth monitor

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by droidika, Feb 2, 2008.

1. droidika

droidika New Member

I would love a bandwidth monitor. I use one on my PC. The realtime display of in/out traffic is great for showing if the streaming file is actually coming in or is stalled. And the stats it keeps helps me stay under the upload cap that my ISP has. I've gotten so used to it that when I'm on someone else's computer I can't believe they don't have one. Waiting for a page I always hit it to see if anything is actually happening. Anyways something like this on the ipot would be great maybe just a little thing up by the time or battery.
  2. Apple Guy

Apple Guy Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I use a Mac and use iStat menus for that, no clicking involved.

You know there is always that spinning thing at the top when it is using the internet
  3. droidika

droidika New Member

yes on any system there is an indicator of some sort but I'm talking about a kB/s type thing. The browsers for the pc have spinning icons as well but that doesn't mean any traffic is happening. Just that it's trying. I mean something like bandwidth monitor. It runs in the system tray and shows up/down traffic. You can get more detailed information if you want. The example I think I'll use is download a large file. After the spinning icon is going I check the throughput. It can be the full 1.5mbit that my isp has as my download limit or it can be zero. At least this way I can decide if I want to find the file somewhere else.
  4. Apple Guy

Apple Guy Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    iStat menus does that, but it would be kinda taxing on the touch to have it have a monitor. BTW the iTouch isn't strong enough to have 1.5 MB/s. The max I have gotten is 800 KB/s

Since I use iStat menus and use my iMac to broadcast a wifi signal to my iTouch I can monitor it that way
  5. droidika

droidika New Member

I must have these numbers wrong. I have a 1.5mbit connection which is about 160 kilobytes per second from my telephone company dsl. For examply when doing the 1.1.3 jailbreak (did this a few times with different methods) I did get exactly 160 for the whole download. The ipodtouchmaster method has a throughput display is how I know and i've used bandwidthplace.com to see if my ipod is recieving over wifi the best speed it can. The limit is my isp's cap and not anything else. I just want to know if that spinning wheel is because data is coming in or what. It takes installer refreshes and safari page loads a long time to timeout if nothing is happening.