Bad news, chronic dev and geohot untethered exploits are not bootrom level

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dunuck, Mar 29, 2010.

1. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    p0sixninjas confirmed on twitter that the exploit they are using for the untethered jailbreak is the same as geohot, and that it is not a hardware level exploit, he also stated that there are no guarantees that hardware exploits even exist anymore.

what this means?
    That apple can patch the exploit with a fw update unlike the 24kpw exploit which pwns the device foreva...

we are getting very close to what the psp scene has come to, once all the fw exploits are burned there will be no new jailbreaks on the horizon for a long time

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  3. Ruud91

Ruud91 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Aaaaw that's too bad, I atleast still have my ipod touch first gen

4. Aprosamurai

Aprosamurai Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ehhhh, that leaves them with not so much of a reason to hold onto it anymore, sadly enough. But then again there is always hope that they may find an iBoot level exploit, but with the way things are looking you never know I suppose.
  5. geeza23

geeza23 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    damn that wasnt what i wanted to hear...yeh the psp scene is slowly but surely sinking day by day and i really do hope thats not the case with the ipod touch/iphone scene
  6. br0adband

br0adband New Member

Did you folks miss this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7DU8XMKWRE

Not that it matters but, at least *two* people or more now have working Jailbreaks... of course neither this one or geohot's video actually shows the firmware in use so, it's all kinda moot anyway.
  7. eats7

eats7 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i was reading his twitter a little more, he says it'd take over a year to find a bootrom exploit. damn.
  8. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    That IS chronic dev team jailbreak
    No he didn't said that, that would be at least better

He said: "if you want to wait for a bootrom exploit you're going to be waiting for a very long time (years or more)"
    On the contrary
    Thats precisely the reason they should hold on to it until fw 4.0 releases along with the g4 iphone
  9. deadlyvirus

deadlyvirus New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    The way I see it, if the devs wait too long, Apple could just patch any holes they find. Every day is another day Apple is combing its firmware looking for holes.
  10. br0adband

br0adband New Member

I tend to agree with this. I look at it this way: when an exploit is found, drop it on the community so people can make use of it right then and there. If Apple patches it, most if not all the people that just Jailbroke their devices with said exploit are not going to be stupid enough - that's the hope - to run off and install the patch the instant it appears.

I'd rather have full unfettered unrestricted access to a piece of hardware that I paid for and own thanks to some creative folks than have a device that I can only have a narrow profile use for - probably why I've never owned any gaming consoles, they're too limited and useless for me.

Besides, I seriously don't believe there will ever be a way to totally completely absolutely without any question whatsoever lock down any device to any point where it's never ever going to get exploited. Things happen... exploits appear...

I'd rather applaud the devs or whoever works on this stuff for finding it and releasing it than wondering "WTF man... if you cracked it once, you'll crack it again later on... get over it"

Things happen, and nothing is 100% secure forever. Nothing.