Backup/Restore Question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dieselboy27, Oct 19, 2008.

1. dieselboy27

dieselboy27 New Member

What does backup actually do? I have a jailbroken ipod touch and lets say I want to restore from a backup. What will that actually do. Will it restore it to the identical state that it was in with all my info and apps back where they were including the jailbroken ones? I'm just wondering this because recently my apps come up with the dialog that they do not want to open. I have fixed that issue but in the future I want to know if a restore from backup will allow me to do the same thing and have all the info from my applications back intact. If backup/restore does not in fact do that then the whole process of it backing up each sync is a significant waste of time for me and it would be great to disable it.
  2. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

No, it only backup savestates of games and settings (Mail, contacts, bookmark in Safari, etc)
  3. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I've always had trouble backing up my iPod while it was jailbroken for some bizarre reason.

I think it just backs up things that are legit from iTunes/App Store (Music, videos, apps, podcasts, Mail, contacts, etc). Everything acquired from a jailbreak isn't backed up.
  4. dieselboy27

dieselboy27 New Member

Thanks for your quick replies.

Also, my ipod seems to take an excessive amount of time to either Sync, or to do the actual backup. I'm on 2.1 with 16gb 1st gen and 2.6 gb free space. By excessive I mean it could take a couple hours to go through the full process if I do not cancel either the sync or backup.
  5. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    That sounds pretty odd, 2.1 is supposed to make it much smoother and faster.

Do you have a lot of videos on your iPod?
  6. dieselboy27

dieselboy27 New Member

No, 10 gbs of music, 1.5 gbs of apps. The "sync" stage sometimes takes forever. I'm assuming some of the JB stuff has affected it somewhat. I do have a lot of stuff installed.
  7. i_maq

i_maq Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    That's strange, I've got about 25gbs full on my iTouch and it backs up in 5 minutes on 2.1 with iTunes 8 :-/