iOS 3.1 backup question

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by ngswr, Mar 6, 2010.

1. ngswr

ngswr New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hi everyone

This is my second thread, and I'm rather new to the ipod touch jailbreak scene. Anyway sorry if I've placed this in the wrong place...

I have just jailbroken my touch(third Gen) with blackrain, and have already gotten many paid apps for free. I believe I can backup the paid apps into itunes, so I can sync them into the ipod again when needed.

My question : will I be able to upgrade(DFU) my touch to 3.1.3(thereby removing the jailbreak), and sync the paid apps(that I have already gotten) back into my ipod(without jailbreak)?

My point is since the apps are the same as the ones from apple store, I should be able to sync them back into an ipod that isn't jailbroken right?
  2. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

The apps are linked to your iTunes account if you purchased them; that's why they're 'free', if the iPod is synced to that account. There's no point to upgrading to 3.1.3 (it's a version of the firmware mostly there to catch the unwary or the foolish).

If you HAVE pirated those apps, by all means upgrade. And then buy them; they'll work after that for sure. Otherwise, if you don't have them linked to your account (and only have the files which don't have your iTunes account info in them),no they won't download to your computer, and they won't restore after a firmware upgrade.
  3. ngswr

ngswr New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Oh I think I get it, so basically when I purchase the apps, there is a record of my purchase against my itunes account.

So what this means is if I downloaded the apps(via jailbreak), I will not be able to use the downloaded apps without a jailbroken ipod touch, even if I sync them into my ipod touch.
  4. maxam

maxam Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Jailbroken apps only work if your ipod is jailbroken. The apps from the itunes store will work even though you dont jailbreak.
  5. ngswr

ngswr New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    What if I downloaded *paid* apps(Those that can be found in itunes) via a jailbroken ipod, can I backup them(paid apps) in itunes? Then do a DFU and get back those apps for free?