"Backseat Modding" rule

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by gunzmaiet, Mar 22, 2010.

1. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

Backseat modding would be trying to be helpful by warning new members that they broke the rules but actually creates more spam; the report button is there to warn mods about rule breaking and not just to look pretty (though it does

Please Register or Log in to view images

)

Example:

OP: I can't beat the final boss on NOVA
    User 1: Try harder
    User 2: TWSS
    User 3: OMG, he said an immature comment; mods warn him

User 3's post does not help the OP at all as is pretty much spam

OP: Nazi Zombie super-zombie glitch sux
    User 1: Thats cuz u have the muffin version
    OP: I tried with both and they both have super-zombie
    User 2: U kno, <insert mod name here> would ban you for talking about pirates

User 2 should just report the post and move on with his life
  2. Dónde?

Dónde? New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Pretty good idea.
  3. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I agree to this to an extent...specifically with your examples but I don't fully agree with this.
    For example:
    OP: <insert screenshot with "inappropriate" apps> Hey guyz check out my new shotz!!!1!
    User 1: You might wanna remove "that" app from your screen, piracy support isn't allowed here.

I feel in this case it just saves the mod the trouble of having to remove it themselves. Of course if you have multiple people all replying in that manner it becomes annoying. Also if the OP doesn't listen or doesn't check the forums often a mod might have to intervene anyways, but for things that can be resolved simply and without moderator assistance it's okay.
  4. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

the sad part is that your scenario might happen but often doesnt and makes a crapload of spam for the mods to delete
  5. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Report and move on is really the best policy.

I absolutely hate seeing 'You cant XYZ. Reported.' It just bumps the thread, drawing more attention.

What's even worse is when we get Mr. Helpful – usually hours after it's been put to bed – giving the previous posters a slap on the wrists saying 'guys come on, he broke the rules, quit bumping the thread'.

And then someone giving out to Mr. Helpful for what he did, bumping it again, and then someone else correcting the guy that corrected…
  6. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Report and move on. That's it. As mentioned above, saying "don't do ____. Reported" only attracts more attention. If you want to "guide" a new member who may be unfamiliar with forum etiquette, send him a VM or PM.

Also, quite possibly the stupidest, most annoying sort of post is one that says "don't bump" after someone has bumped a thread. I really don't think I need to explain the arrant logical flaws in that.
  7. rofl.

rofl. Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Irony.
  8. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

so are u gonna make it a rule in case newbs want to be "helpful" thinking that this will help their chances of becoming a mod?
  9. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Good idea; I've been guilty of it before.

Still. Its a good idea, because it does just amount to spam.
  10. hope

hope New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    My main thing when I'm about to report a post, is the note underneath the message box thing. It's actually kinda confusing.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Is it not for rule breaking posts (ie. what your talking about)? Really ONLY for spam, ads, and problematic posts? Maybe add in the obvious for weary new members new to the shiny report button?