Backlight issues

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pyro_spy, Jul 15, 2010.

1. pyro_spy

pyro_spy New Member

So I bought a broken ipod touch from a friend. She had dropped it and the digitizer was broken. So I replaced the digitizer and got everything working correctly until I noticed the backlight was not working. So I got a new lcd to go in thinking that would solve the problem. But it hasn't. Everything works fine except for the fact the screen doesn't light up. But that makes it almost impossible to use.

What I am missing? She says there is no water damage at all. It was just dropped and the digitizer cracked. But why can I not get the backlight to work? There is also a weird problem where only the right headphone will work. I'm thinking these are signs of water damage and I'm SOL, but does anyone have any suggestions? I'm decently handy and willing to try to fix pretty much anything.

ETA: It's a 2G 8GB if that helps at all. And wayyy out of warranty, not that that would help if there is any water damage to it.
  2. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Bad case of liquid damage. Leave it in rice and I'll get back to you.
  3. HeadReaper

HeadReaper Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    You've been had. In my opinion anyway.
  4. IcEtMaCcA

IcEtMaCcA New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have just got home form a terential downpour my ipod touch 2g was in my pocket with a rubber cover on and it was swiched on at the time it was water damaged.

As i was soaked i took it out my pocket and there was water in rubber case when i went to take it off the back light flashed on then went off the ipod works but no backlight is there a easy fix way or is it off to shop for a repair on the cards? thanks for any help all .
  5. com69

com69 New Member

It didn't have to be water damage. I shorted out the backlight on a 2g after a screen replacement by not noticing that a tiny(miniscule really) piece of metal was in the lcd connector, it burned out the backlight. Taught me to keep my work area cleaner. It is fixable, I just don't remember off the top of my head exactly what I had to replace(besides the lcd connector that I torched). If I get a chance, I'll look it over and see what I had to do to it.

I do remember it being a total PITA because the resistors/capacitors that needed replacing were almost invisible to the naked eye. If you have good soldering skills and the proper equipment(60x-100x magnifying lens w/light helps immensely, multi-meter, etc ), it's doable.