Backing up-JB prep

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by Hindiann, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Hindiann

Hindiann New Member

How would I be able to backup all the videos, music, and apps on my itouch? I need to restore to jailbreak it, but i dont want to lose ALL the info. Can someone please link me a program or something?
  2. Salamantis

Salamantis New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Why don't you just sync it with iTunes? After a restore you can always sync them back easily, it's just that some app data might be missing.

Or you can do it the hard way like I did it, if you have some app data you don't want to lose, you need to open up and extract the backup files iTunes makes and then salvage all app data from there, but I can't explain how to do that on a PC since I use a Mac.
  3. Hindiann

Hindiann New Member

yeah, i use a mac too >.< please explain how you did that
  4. 700 Sportsman

700 Sportsman New Member

yes please explain
  5. Hindiann

Hindiann New Member

yeah dude could you please explain that would be awesome
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    cmon man where r u
  6. Jailbreakipodtouch2g

Jailbreakipodtouch2g Member

ive been lookin evywhere on how to do this plz do tell
  7. Salamantis

Salamantis New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Sorry for the late reply guys! I forgot about this thread D:

And now for the obligatory warning, try this at your own risk, and I don't know if this works on every app but it did on the ones I had. I am not responsible for any data loss you might experience.

Doing this requires some time. If you don't need your old data don't bother wasting time. Also this is for Macs only. I haven't bothered looking for a way on PCs.

Plug in your iPod and in iTunes right click it in the sidebar and select "Back Up" and wait until it finishes.

Basically download this app:
    http://supercrazyawesome.com/ (click on the giant icon)
    Then run it and click Read Backups and and then in the list of apps select those you want (all of them is a little long) to extract one by one and click Extract on each, and save them to a location on your computer.

After restoring and jailbreaking and everything, reinstall the apps by syncing your iPod. This takes a long time if you have a lot.

SSH into your iPod (look for a guide on Cydia's front page) and using an SSH client like Fugu or Cyberduck (I use Transmit FYI) connect to your iPod and navigate to /User/Applications. Don't use Terminal because then it takes a really, really LONG time.

Here you're presented with a huge/small list of apps with weirdly named folders. Open them up one by one until you find the ones you extracted earlier and then copy the files from the extracted one on your computer to the weirdly named folders, replacing the old ones. I usually copy everything except iTunesMetadata.plist and iTunesArtwork since those aren't much different the the new ones.

VoilĂ , now when you launch an app it should have the same data as before. At least they did for me.