iOS 4.0 backing up ipod

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by baghead1013, Jun 21, 2010.

1. baghead1013

baghead1013 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i backed up my ipod yesterday and when i updated today after i downloaded it it keeps trying to backup my ipod and i dont want to so i clicked stop and i try to update again and it keeps making me do it how do i skip the backup

someone plz tell me!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    nevermind guys just be patient after the backup gets a little bit in there it starts goin really fast so just be patient
  2. N130

N130 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    ^^^Good because it's going ultra slow right now.
  3. awpitchy

awpitchy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    One, you shouldn't interrupt a backup that's in place, because that results in a corrupt backup. It's fine if you perform another backup right after to make a correct one, but what if you forget and try and restore? Two, using this method means you will not have a backup. You won't have anything to restore from, so you'll have to go in naked the next time something's broken with your OS. Now that you know what the risks are, here's how you do it:

I presume you use Windows, so here is how to do it in Windows:

First of all close ITunes and then follow these steps:

1. Locate your iTunesPrefs.xml file. It’s usually located in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes or C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes.
    If the folder Application Data does not show up, make sure that hidden files are visible in the Windows Explorer
    2. Backup your iTunesPrefs.xml file
    3. Open iTunesPrefs.xml using a capable text-editor (e.g. Notepad)
    4. Search for a section called User Preferences and paste the following snipped into the User Preferences Section after the first <dict>:

<key>DeviceBackupsDisabled</key>
    <data>
    dHJ1ZQ==
    </data>

After you’ve done.

5. Save the file and restart iTunes. Backups should now be disabled. To enable backups again delete the XML Snippet from iTunesPrefs.xml file.

Hope this helps

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. baghead1013

baghead1013 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    yea guys make sure u get the backup done cuz if u dont u will lose all ur stuff and dont worry i thought it was gonna take hours but it only took about a half an hour and once u get far enough it will go fast
  5. awpitchy

awpitchy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah, it doesn't take too long. Have fun

Please Register or Log in to view images