Backing up files before upgrade - which files are essential?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bimple, Nov 23, 2008.

1. bimple

bimple New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I am wary of using APT Backup, and I have lots of apps I have downloaded from Cydia and Installer, and I have my iPod Touch pretty much how I want it and don't want to start from scratch. I want to keep all of the settings and apps if possible.

What files/directories are essential to backing up my iPod so I can restore them back via SSH after I upgrade? I know I don't need every single file on the iPod - do I just copy the files from applications and library? if I overwrite the library files will that mess with the upgrade? do I choose not to overwrite the newer versions of the default apps or keep the new ones?
  2. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Library/preferences if you want to keep your settings. Beyond that, App Store programs are synced back on automatically. If you use the Upgrade in iTunes, it won't touch the /var/ folder, so prefs and /var/mobile/Library will stay intact. APT backup works fine unless you're one of those idiots who doesn't run it first thing after the upgrade: that's the key to success: it can restore the backup, but only before other programs are installed via Cydia. Once you've changed things, it doesn't restore right. It likes a clean list of unselected packages.