Backgrounder Breaks rrootage

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Antar, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Antar

Antar New Member

This is not a complaining post--this is a joyous, Whoopee! post, at least for me.

Rrootage is the reason I put off upgrading my iPod touch to v2 (well, that and wiki2touch). It's one of my favorite games I've encountered for the device yet.

So you can understand how devastated I was when I upgraded my jailbroken iPod Touch from 2.0 to 2.2 (this would be a few months after upgrading to 2.0) only to find rrootage BROKEN (it would get as far as the splash screen before crashing--the crash logs were un-helpful).

Considering that I could find no posts in any forums with other people complaining of this problem, I figured it was my unit, and the only thing that I could do was a restore & reload.

It took me a few months to get around to that, but when I finally did (this morning), I documented at EACH POINT in the reloading process whether rrootage worked.

-After wipe & restore, but before jailbreaking: worked
    -After jailbreak using quickpwn: worked
    -After restoring Cydia apps using AptBackup: BROKEN

Okay, so it was some kind of incompatibility with a Cydia app. I was all set to go through and uninstall each app, one by one, to try to find the culprit, but luckily, the guilty party began with "B" so I didn't get very far. And I don't really NEED "backgrounder" for anything, so my problem is now resolved.

I'm posting all this here in case anyone else comes across this problem with rrootage or another game. I figure, put the information out there, right?
  2. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Orrr. the more logical explanation, you need to respring after some applications from app store are used. So when you removed backgrounder, you had to respring, which made it work. Problem Solved!
  3. Gipson

Gipson New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    wow. i'm so glad i found this thread. i made a post about this a while back in the rRootage thread but nobody had a clue.

i was in the exact same boat as the OP and uninstalling Backgrounder instantly did the trick. it sucks that i lost Backgrounder as it was pretty handy but to get my fave game back is worth it.

thanks, dude for posting this!

Please Register or Log in to view images

i was getting tired of Trism and Frantic on the subway. back to bullet hell!

update:
    well it looks like the '20 second lock screen' cydia app breaks this game as well. i installed that and NES recently and tried playing the game today and it kept crashing. this game needs a patch or something :S

update 2:
    it seems any of the Notifier (statusnotifier, etc) will make this game crash upon start up. which really sucks because now i'm using the Multibar lockscreen.