Background running app- you got to try this

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by arikado, May 26, 2009.

1. arikado

arikado New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    It's called BigStopWatch

download this for free:
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=301615836&mt=8

Now run the app, start the timer.
    Press home button to close the app.

Now everytime you run BigStopWatch again, the time has continued and was counting in unactive even when the app has been closed.

Is that not amazing? I found out when i had accidently left it running 2 weeks ago and it was STILL counting (i didnt shut off my ipod of cousre, only sleep mode)

My questions are: Does this take up more battery power? How so? And how is it possible it could run even when the app is closed? (backgrounder not enabled either).

EDIT: hehe don't tell apple about this, this has got to be the best timer app!!
  2. katking123

katking123 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    *facepalm* normal timer already does this and no it barely uses any cpu or ram
  3. Cyanidepoison

Cyanidepoison Active Member

It isn't running in the background. It saves the time when it closes and calculates the length between the saved time and the current time.

It isn't exactly complicated.
  4. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    From what I know, I think it records the system time from start, and when you open it again, it simply figures out the difference.

There is no way an official application can have a background process.
  5. ipodtouchmaster05

ipodtouchmaster05 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    lollololol no, I guarantee that if you installed this from the AppStore, it has NOT been running the whole time. It probably just saved what time it was when u exited the app then got the time when you started the app and set it up as a timer, an illusion like its been running the entire time.
  6. arikado

arikado New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Oh wow i feel pretty dumb now lol.

Either way, this timer is pretty awesome dont you think? I mean yeah, sure you could use the normal clock and manually time things but i think this is good for long length timing.