Background Application

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by Duh, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Duh

Duh New Member

hi there,

i have written a few regular applications for the iphone using the apple SDK and i would now like to try writing a simple app capable of running in the background (a trivial alarm or reminder application for instance). i heard this is possible (for jailbroken iphones), can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to do that?
    somehow create a new process that won't be forced terminate when the application closes? or is it much simpler than that? or maybe c-threads?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
    duh
  2. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    For a background application you have to make a mobile substrate plugin *I believe*, Skylar has a made a lovely tutorial in the Developer Tutorials section. Go check that out. If I'm wrong someone please correct me

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

Uhh, I made the tutorial. And no, you should still be able to use applicationSuspend: to make your app run in the background; FWChanger did it.
  4. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Oh. Sorry. I remember him making a tutorial to integrate it into Xcode with a makefile.

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. Duh

Duh New Member

uhm call me blind, but i've just spent 20mins searching for that tutorial by hand and with the search function, i simply can't seem to find it. would anyone mind posting a link?

thanks
  6. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

Dude, read the posts on your own thread. I told you the answer above, but you failed to read it obviously.