Back-Up Question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by CrazyFoo, Sep 11, 2009.

1. CrazyFoo

CrazyFoo New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hi Folks,

I'm very new to this iPOD deal so thanks for your patience with these questions.

Currently I have iTunes installed on my desktop computer which contains about 250 full length CD's.
    Of these 250 CD's, about 100 of them have been purchased from the iTunes store, & the rest I imported from CD's I own.

A few weeks ago I purchased a iPod Touch (32GB) and synced it with my iTunes. It worked perfectly, and now all my music which was located on my computer's hard drive, is also nicely contained on my shiney new iPod, so this part of it is excellent; I'm very happy.

Now let's say that my Desktop Computer crashed on me, and I lost the contents of the hard drive, including all the contents of iTunes, would the songs on my touch serve as a back-up?
    Meaning, could I just install a fresh version of itunes back on my desktop, and transfer over the contents of my ipod touch back to the desktop PC?

I plan to upgrade my desktop to windows 7 when it's released by doing a complete wipe, so I was hoping as long as I have my iPod Touch synced before hand, then I can just reload everything back to my desktop itunes after the fresh instal of Windows 7, will this work the way I'm hoping it does?

Thanks
    Crazy
  2. TooGoodAtCOD4

TooGoodAtCOD4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well, yes. There are a few freeware applications out there that will let you "rip" so to speak, music from your ipt back to your computer. I would provide you with links to them, however I'm at work and can't access the sites lol. Hope this helps.
  3. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I recommend an external hard drive for all those DVD's.

If you "wipe" before the Windows 7 install, if "wipe" like FDISK then the entire hard drive and the entire operating system is a "wipe". That is not recommended for the inexperienced end-user.

It is possible to copy iPhone/Touch using Copy to PC and Copy from PC in iFunBox freeware.

However, you may like paid DiskAid, for example. It will do music and video.
  4. CrazyFoo

CrazyFoo New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks to you both for the helpful replies.
    A thought occurred to me while thinking about this...

My PC has a built-in Blu-Ray Disc burner, what if I went into iTunes,
    File->Library->Burn to Disc

Would this let me back-up my entire iTunes library to a blank Blu-Ray Disc?
    Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks
    Crazy