Back up new 1.1.3 iPhone applications..

Discussion in 'iPod touch January App Pack (iPhone Apps)' started by fr0z3nic3, Jan 16, 2008.

1. fr0z3nic3

fr0z3nic3 New Member

Ok, I'm pretty sure you guys have heard about this Total Commander program.. Well, since I fully upgraded my Touch yesterday I've been playing around with this program and I think I may have found the folder where the 1.1.3 application files are in.. Now, I'm not a hundred and ten percent positive yet, so I'm doing a couple other things to see exactly what those files are or if they are the 1.1.3 new applications for iPod Touch.. So, stay tuned in to this thread it just might be what I'm looking for!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. freshnewton7

freshnewton7 New Member

sweet im fully updated too GOODLUCK man
  3. cadair

cadair New Member

upgraded to 1.1.3

Prior to upgrading to 1.1.3, I uninstalled the majority of my applications, and moved the /Applications folder back to the root.
    I then proceeded to upgrade to 1.1.3 via iTunes, and went ahead and purchased the application pack.
    When my iPod came back up, all of my mail, weather, and stock settings were still in tact.
    So I assume those apps (or at least their settings) are still in the same place they were prior to the upgrade, since the settings did not get blown away.

Chip
  4. fr0z3nic3

fr0z3nic3 New Member

Yea, but theres a separate folder called '/Applications' that is locked an I'm not sure I should tamper with it.. Theres a folder thats locked and a folder thats opened.. Thats why I'm confused..

5. upd

upd New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Oooo Goody! I hope a Dev found this out, you should contact one of them and make sure of it, because I bet when a Jailbreak for 1.1.3 is released they could put something in install that'll hack that folder and activate the applications. I even bet that when you "purchase" the software from iTunes it'll unlock that folder and then MOVE the apps over the to other one, to activate them (not sure if that is how it works, just a guess).

Most definitely onto something here. Great find.

Afraid of tampering? I don't know what the iPod could do to you if you try to tamper with one of its locked folders.
  6. fr0z3nic3

fr0z3nic3 New Member

Ok guys, I opened the /Applications folder that was locked and sure enough those are the ones that are in use on the iPod Touch, now.. The problem is they can't be copied or taken out of that folder and heres how I know why.. I took the Map.app Application out of that folder to see what it actually does and refreshed my iPod and turned it on.. Apple logo pops up, so I wait, and wait, wait some more.. Nothing happens.. I wait an entire 10 minutes for the unlock page to pop up before I forced it.. Now, I'm trying to figure out what I should do now.. I put the application back in its folder and turned it back on it worked fine..

7. bklynsoulja

bklynsoulja New Member

can u copy the folder with all the apps inside into ur desktop?
  8. mynameisBEEKMAN

mynameisBEEKMAN Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    how about taking it out, copying it, giving it to me, and putting it back in?
  9. fr0z3nic3

fr0z3nic3 New Member

No, I tried that too..

10. upd

upd New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Oh dear! So it looked like it temporarily bricked your touch. This needs to be stickied and comfirmed. That is very interesting.

You should try leaving the folder in the locked one, and copying it over to the other Applications folder and see what happens, if copying works.

Otherwise, it sounds like there is a file on the touch somewhere that is checked every time the touch is turned on to see if it is allowed to have those applications run. I am betting that if it finds the Maps.app, etc folder in the main applications folder or if it sees that it is missing, it'll render the iPod useless. This file could probably be found and hacked. Someone with a Mac could do it.