Awesome Note

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by richardcav, Aug 11, 2009.

1. richardcav

richardcav Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    AWESOME NOTE

I'm typing this review from the actual application on my ipod, AWESOME NOTE. I've only had my Ipod Touch for a few months, and one of my favorite apps that comes with the basic Ipod Touch 2G is the Notepad. There is never a pen around when I need one, but I always carry my IPT2G with me. This makes Notepad a necessary tool in every day life...plus, it gives me a chance to show off my ipod. I was hesitant to download AWESOME NOTE, because I thought I'd be buying something inferior to Notepad. I was wrong. The AWESOME NOTE app is, in many ways, better than the regular Notepad, and here are just a few examples:

Organization:

The notes can be categorized into several folders, which are seen on the menu page. Although, AWESOME NOTE comes with its own set of folders - My Ideas, Study, Work, and Travel Diary - each can be renamed, or deleted...with the option, of course, to add more folders.

Please Register or Log in to view images

The only folder that cannot be deleted or customized is the top folder on the menu page. This folder contains a list of all notes from every folder, except those notes that are filed under a password-protected folder. That's right! Each folder carries a password-protected option, which would come in handy if the Ipod is lost or stolen...or borrowed.

Unfortunately, neither the folders nor notes can be rearranged in the preferred order. This means that more active notes and folders that should be moved to the first page for easier access are left on the page in the order they were created. This can be a nuisance when there are numerous documents to thumb through.

Customization:

Each folder tab can be customized with a selection of ten colors, and decorated with an option of twenty-one icons (although, "no icon" is another way to go).

Notes in the folder can be viewed as lists or post-it notes.

The design of each post-it note reflects the background of the opened note.

There are 13 styles of font that can easily be changed by selecting the "T" on the bottom bar:

Unfortunately, the option to broaden the text size and font beyond a single note does not exist; if it does, I haven't found it. Until this feature is added, we are left changing the font every time we want something other than the default font. Personally, I'm easy to please, but I do occasionally have an appetite for change.

Salvation:

The original notepad could - according to others - be synced to outlook. But for some unknown reason, it never worked for me. Pages in AWESOME NOTE can be synced to Google documents, AND documents in Google can be synced to AWESOME NOTE.

Although syncing this way requires internet access, this is more convenient in that each document can be accessed by any computer connected to the web. Initially, I was annoyed that I'd have to create yet another account online (don't you just hate filling out forms?); but I quickly discovered that online calenders and documents were included when I signed up for G-Mail. If you have a gmail acct, you already have the google acct you need to sync your notes.

Pros:

• Color-coded folders
    • Syncs to Google
    • Customizable font and size
    • Password protected folders (optional)

Cons:

• Font and text size are set on a note-by-note basis (not a default setting).
    • Folders cannot be rearranged (only displays in order they are created).
    • Only works under Firmware 3.0

Simply put, the organized files that can be synced to Google and a few little extras that you won't find in Ipod's Notepad make this little app definitely worth $3.99.

Now I just need to sync to Google, copy and paste to a new message in the ipod touch app review forum, then...VIOLA!

[typed in AWESOME NOTE; edited in Google]
  2. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Ok... The only thing that keeps this review from being bad, is that you typed it from the app.
  3. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
  4. richardcav

richardcav Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanx, JKK. I added pics for clarity.
  5. JIMIneitor

JIMIneitor Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    didnt read either, but it seemed like a nice review
  6. richardcav

richardcav Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I edited it 3 seconds ago. I cut away all the descriptions (a pic's worth a thousand)

Thanx for your replies.
  7. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Its much better know. I'd just suggest organizing a little bit more, you know?
  8. 1337BUHMILLION

1337BUHMILLION New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    the font... it just raped my eyes...
  9. Mz8691

Mz8691 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    <redacted>
  10. Parrappa

Parrappa New Member

Unfortunately you need 3.0 to use this app, otherwise it seems awesome.