Avi support?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by speedii69, Dec 4, 2007.

1. speedii69

speedii69 New Member

I have been searching alittle around the web, and this site. But i havent been able to find anything about it. Is there anyway to get .AVI support for my Ipod touch.? OFC its been jailbreaked

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. nudded

nudded New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    nope its not yet possible.
    simpel as that
  3. Theliel

Theliel New Member

avi only are a container, and h264 (codec used by ipod touch) dont work fine under avi. Avi are deprecated.

Others codec used by avi: Divx, xdiv... (codec ASP) are very old too. H264 its the best codec in this moment, so... support for older technology? no sense
  4. lvlln

lvlln New Member

Divx and Xvid are the most popular codecs for TV shows and movies, and for good reason; it's almost as good as H264 in compression, and it uses far less system resources to decode (and encode). Their wide support in DVD players and media centers (including the Xbox360 after the latest update) has also contributed to its dominance. Simply put, any PMP that does not play back this codec is broken right out of the box.

I doubt any 3rd party will manage to make Divx or Xvid playable on the iTouch. Apple is obviously never gonna implement it, because their principle has always been, "our way or the highway," and while Divx decoding isn't that hardware intensive, it is to the extent that unless a 3rd party has access to the inner workings of the OS and the chip, it's not gonna be able to perform at an acceptable level.
  5. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If Apple hasn't supported Divx via Quicktime (and they haven't), I don't see them going to the effort to supoprt it on the iPod Touch. However, the Divx group might make it available like they did for Quicktime, and maybe Flip4Mac (wmv & avi plugin) will be ported as well. But like anything else, it's a matter of time for the conversions.
  6. adam76

adam76 New Member

Divx converter

All that said, what is the best and quickest, free divx to h264 converter?
  7. Theliel

Theliel New Member

divx/xdiv almost as good as h264??? XD. H264 its much much much better codec. Yes, it take more recurses, but today, all CPUs can manage h264 requeriments.

If you don't belive me, I invite you to..:

Both, you and me,can download the same source. For example some DV footage or some DVD minutes. The final video should be the same in resolutions terms and size for both. Them, all others can judge what codec are better.
    For example for low bitrate, medium bitrate and high.

If you want more.. and better informations:

http://compression.ru/video/codec_comparison/mpeg-4_avc_h264_en.html

You have diferent h264 comparisson codec, but Divx for example too.

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. rvchamne

rvchamne New Member

if you're using a mac check out isquint (www.isquint.org/). it's free and does the job fairly well. i know there are some other programs that do this too. but isquint is about the easiest on a mac. as for PC, any suggestions?
  9. lvlln

lvlln New Member

Yes, Xvid is almost as good as h264; for the same quality, you usually get less than a 25% reduction in filesize by using h264 vs. using Xvid. Furthermore, PCs are not the only things that play back video. This is why Divx and Xvid have become the de facto standard for encoding videos of TV shows and movies; DVD players, media centers, and (good) PMPs with relatively weak chips can play them back with perfect performance. Battery consumption is another issue for PMPs, because decoding Xvid and Divx generally kills the battery more slowly than decoding h264.

And all that, of course, doesn't even touch the ENCODING issue; encoding a 2-pass h264 can take 2-3x as long as encoding a 2-pass Xvid, which is a big deal when a 2 hour long movie takes around 2 hours or more to encode on most standard machines. H264 is the codec of the future, but right now, until hardware and battery life can catch up, it is an absolutely boneheaded choice for portable video.

Plus, regardless of how much better h264 is, the fact is, the most popular codec out there IS Xvid/Divx, period. By not supporting playback, you're cutting off a vast majority of online video sources from the consumer, unless the consumer wants to re-encode, which, as mentioned before, requires a lot of waiting time for a codec like h264.