Automatically add song info

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by NickPod, Dec 29, 2008.

1. NickPod

NickPod Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I need a program like FixTunes that will automatically go through my iTunes library and add the appropriate song info (Song Title, Artist, Album Title, Year, etc.) so that I can then get the Album Artwork for my songs. Not only for that reason though; I'd really like to have accurate information for my songs.
    I came across another one, TuneUp but it isn't free. And the free version is limited.

FixTunes seemed to be good, but I couldn't get it to work. It would start and then say "No more songs" or something like that.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. NickPod

NickPod Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Okay, I tried the limited version of TuneUp and it sucks too.
    Anybody have any ideas/alternatives?

Thanks again.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Handle

Handle New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    MusicBrainz is pretty good, although I seem to recall it taking awhile to scan a large collection. http://musicbrainz.org/
  4. elars

elars New Member

From now on, seperate your incoming music and your archived music. Before you add any new music to your library, make sure it's tagged properly and the file names are to your liking, create a folder structure to suit your needs, and move it to your archiving folder.

I have A-Z and #/! folders, which break down to artist name folders, and further to album by year (e.g. ..Music\B\Bright Eyes\[2000] Fevers and Mirrors). Everything will always be in place, and even easier to find should you need to find the files for another program, burn, etc.

There is no program to do what you want easily. The most success has been had with MonkeyBrainz, but honestly, your best bet is to ensure it happens yourself.

This is why your mom always told you to clean your room.

Once you get everything tagged properly, you can try iTunes for album art finding, but if you have anything mildly obscure, it sucks. There's a free program for album art finding that works much better, however I've lost it in a reformat and forgotten the name, but should be easy to google as free album art downloader or finder.
  5. NickPod

NickPod Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Thanks for those programs. Last week, I ended up manually editing the song info for my entire library and I found most of the Album Artwork from this site http://art4itunes.com/.

And now I am already doing what you suggested: ensuring that every new song I add is properly tagged with the correct metadata.
  6. TuneUpMedia

TuneUpMedia New Member

Hey this is Brian from TuneUp here. Nick, although I am stoked that you were able to fix your tagging issue, I was a bit disheartened to hear your experience with TuneUp wasn't up to snuff. We want to hear feedback from you so we can help make the overall experience better. If you want, you can PM me your issues with us so we can work on fixing them.
  7. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    To add lyrics to your songs download itunes friend, did it yesterday and 79% of my songs have lyrics, 40% have correct lyrics, 20% have partially correct lyrics, 15% of the lyrics are not even near correct
  8. NickPod

NickPod Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Like I said in my original post:
    1) It is not free
    2) The free version is limited

Yeah, I saw that iTunesFriend thread here the other day and used the program. It was very nice, and it did indeed get the lyrics to many of my songs; but like you said, some of them were not found or were the wrong ones. But lyrics are not a big part of what I'm looking for.

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You are so cheap.
    Look at how awesome this company is. He comes to a forum, just to answer and help with problems. Name one other company that does that. I have the trialn I just don't have any need for it, but personally, if i needed anything like this right now, i would buy TuneUp in an instant just because of that post and customer service. I mean look, your not even a customer and he's trying to help you.
  10. NickPod

NickPod Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Cheap? No. Frugal? Yes.

Who are you to tell me that I am cheap because I don't want to pay for a program that isn't vital to my life or that of my family at this point? Hmm, do I want dinner tonight or metadata added to my iTunes Library?

Yeah, it's great that he's here trying to help and personalize the customer-company experience; him doing so does not require me to jump up and pay for the program.
    There are some things in life that require spending and others that cannot be my top priority, especially in this economy.
    Ghodbane Wassil likes this.