Auto-refresh page and battery icon status

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Dytoonn, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Dytoonn

Dytoonn New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Auto-refresh page and battery icon status [update: Test results!] [update²:+ results]

I recently bought my 2nd gen 16gb ipod touch, but I've been wondering:
    Is there a page/app that let you test your battery while using wifi/safari? So basically, is there a page that does a auto-refresh every minute e.g.?

And I also noticed my battery drains really fast when using safari (that's why I want to test it now.) When I start browsing (battery fully charged.), after 1/2 hour the battery is at 50%. After less than an hour I get the '20%' warning. But with the 20%, I can browse the web for more than another hour! I know you normally can browse the web for more than 3 hours, so my '2 hours' seems a weak result to me. But that's why I want to accurately test it, because the 2 hours may be 3 hours, I didn't time it. But it is certain that the battery status of my Ipod touch touch is really strange... It goes in no time to 50%, to 20%, (even to 10% ) but I can still use it for a long time after the '20% message'.
  2. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'd head into an Apple Store and say there's something up with your battery.
  3. Dytoonn

Dytoonn New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Results

Okay this is what I've done:
    -I've used http://www.suasua.com/ to automatically refresh my pages.

-I let 'suasua' refresh http://www.ifans.com for about one hour. (refresh=every 30 secs.) After 1 hour the battery status was still 'fully charged'.

-Because I thought this was a really optimistic result, I did the same with the site: 'http://www.hln.be (= Belgian newspaper site.) After another hour, the battery was drained till approx. 40%.

-Then I've chatted and called on 'fring' for a short time. (20 minutes)

-I browsed the web @ random. I watched some short films, I played some short games, I've browsed some interesting sites. All together: 30 minutes.

-Next I've been looking ant listening to 2 songs on http://www.seeqpod.com/ (this is where I got the '20% status'. (so total time: 10 minutes)

-Then I've been browsing my own computer using beefree4iphone. (after a short time I got the '10% status') Few moments after that, my ipod touch to 'crashed'/'freezed' so I had to reboot it. I continued browsing my pc. And after a total time of 20 minutes, I used 'suasua' to refresh http://www.hln.be again. After another small 5 minutes, I noticed my ipod touch had shut itself down. The battery was fully drained.

If you count all the times together, + the time I was eating (+- 30 minutes, Fring (msn) was 'online'...) I get about 4 hours.

So that's basically what it should be, isn't it? Despite the fact the battery status indicator did weird things, everything seems fine to me. I don't know if this measures are accurate, but it still seems to me that when I'm actually browsing the web, and I'm visiting many different sites, the battery wouldn't last for 4 hours. But maybe that's just because I'm actually 'entertaining' myself. Brightness was set at 30% btw.
  4. JohnyW

JohnyW New Member

Wow... that's very thurough. Ya your iPod drains battery like nothing during wifi. If you want to lengthen it, turn down your brightness and turn fetch data to manually or off.
  5. Dytoonn

Dytoonn New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Another update! More RESULTS!

Okay since my battery life still was a bit weird, and I didn't trust the 'Internet test results' I decided to do the ultimate and most accurate test.
    So this is what I've done:
    I took about 8 songs; average length 4.5 minutes. I converted them to AAC @ 128kbps. I turned off WIFI, and set the screen brightness to the lowest. Volume was set first @ 40%.

So I put off the screen, and started playing and repeating the songs (with my regular ipod touch headphones.) I thought the result would be average, but it's not! (Or I think it's not, I'm wondering....) The ipod is playing now 44hrs and 15 minutes! The first 30 hours, volume was set @ 40%, and from then, I put it to 50%.
    I checked the battery status sometimes, so turned on the screen for about 15 times, and I unlocked my Ipod once to chance my clock settings.

I think the battery now reached 10%...

Please Register or Log in to view images

So apparently my battery life ain't that bad after all.
  6. rafarquhar

rafarquhar New Member

I don't think that the first hour is realistic. All of the files from ipodtouchfans were already loaded, so your iPod didn't have to do all that much for the first hour.
  7. Dytoonn

Dytoonn New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Final update

Here are my final results: My ipod touch played for 48 hours! It might stopped playing for an hour, because I accidentally unplugged my headphones. I think it was more for about 30 minutes but even than.... 47 hours... Pretty good isn't it?

Please Register or Log in to view images