Auto-Expiration Of Old Threads...

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by DarkWrath, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkWrath

DarkWrath Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I was wondering if there was a system to automatically close a thread if there is no activity to avoid irritating bumps. If there are no replies for 6 months+ the thread to automatically close and a header above OP saying something like this (or something applicable for the thread):
    So what do you guys think?
  2. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Sounds like a good idea to me, when I read the title I thought you meant that old threads would be deleted which wouldn't be good if they had useful info in them. But I'm pro this idea, it would stop unnecessary bumps.

However if it does say the thread might contain outdated advice and it doesn't, the reader might start a new, not really needed thread where the same info is given that was in the last one.
  3. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    This seems like a fair idea, I think it should just add an [OLD] prefix or something like that. If threads get closed, they're on a much lower priority for searches, leading to duplicate threads (Acording to Skylar).
    Some sort of expiration is a pretty good idea though.
  4. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    That's quite a good idea actualy! I hope bgizzle does this, it'll stop new users from bumping the threads.
  5. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    But your not allowed to bump threads anyway, and the threads will always be available for searching.

I think it's a good idea.
  6. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

I don't like this idea. Take this for example:

A new forum member decided to start building iPhone applications. He decided to follow a guide or tutorial that we have in the developers' fora here. Halfway through, he has a question, but he can't ask it because the thread was autolocked. The user has no choice but to post a new thread. Whereas I'd rather he bump the original thread with the original guide because his question and answer could help the next person that finds that guide.
  7. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Good point. Unless mods had the power to select certain threads to live forever, but that would probably be too much work.
  8. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    ok so we just need an auto-expiration on the threads that are questions, any guides will be left open.
  9. Xtreme Touch

Xtreme Touch Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    But then again, that guide would be a sticky and stickies would never close.
  10. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Oh yeah, and there's an easy way to do that without manually going through and tagging every single thread in the history of this forum as a guide or a question.

Good guides aren't always stickied.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.