Authorize iTunes purchases on more than 5 Computers

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by Anonymouslyanonymous, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Anonymouslyanonymous

Anonymouslyanonymous Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    DISCLAIMER: The information below is provided for the sole purpose of informing individuals how to use the content he or she has purchased from itunes on more than 5 of his or her personal computers. This method should not be used in any way as a means of achieving piracy. I strictly do not condone piracy.

As you may already know, iTunes only allows purchases to be used (authorized) on a maximum of 5 computers at the same time. However with this method, individuals will be able to use their purchases on more than 5 of his or her personal computers simultaneously.

Essentially, it goes like this :

iTunes stores authorization info in a hidden folder depending on your OS.

For Macs its - /Users/Shared/SC Info

(To show hidden files in Leopard, open terminal and input the following:
    # defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true
    # KillAll Finder

To hide the hidden files:

# defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool false
    # KillAll Finder

Windows - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\SC Info.

On an authorized computer, back up the SC Info folder. Then de-authorize the computer. Afterwards, restore the original SC Info folder (that you had previously backed up). Your computer should work as though it's authorized, but will no longer take up the authorization slot it had previously taken in iTunes.

However, as with all tricks, there is a catch. If you follow this method, you will not be able to listen to music that you will purchase in the future, since iTunes changes the key each time you download a new song (apparently it still works with all your old purchases).

Nevertheless, if you're in a situation where you need to authorize over 5 of your personal computers and you're content with what this solution will yield, it may be worth a try.

EDIT: Since one is able to authorize a computer just by copying the Authorization info into that computer. Don't know if we could just copy the SC Info folder into another computer and receive instant authorization. If this was to work, one could perform this process faster.
  2. GuybrushT

GuybrushT New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    sounds like you can trade apps safer... LOL is there a way to unauthorize all computers??? cause i have just autorized 2 computers and i have only 2 autorizations left... cause one day my OS just crash and i had to format my HD, and i couldnt unautorize my pc....
  3. Hiratai

Hiratai Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Apparently it disables the apps having the ability to update using this. Trust me, Apple is going to higher limits to protect their apps.
  4. stund

stund New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    My authorized computers was at either 4 or 5 before. When it reached whichever amount, there was an option to de-authorize ALL computers within your itunes account. I did that, then just reauthorized my pc which left my account at 1 out of 5 authorizations. This was about 6 months ago, so I am assuming it hasn't changed.
  5. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    do u know if it says passwords too or not?
  6. Anonymouslyanonymous

Anonymouslyanonymous Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If you open the files inside the SC_info folder with an app such as textedit, you will find that the info stored in those files are all gibberish and probably encrypted one way or another. So if anyone was to open it, all they would read is random signs and letters/numbers etc.
  7. GuybrushT

GuybrushT New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    wow thanks for the info!