Audiophilia!

Discussion in 'Music, Movies, TV, and Videos' started by NinjaBurrito, Jul 30, 2010.

1. NinjaBurrito

NinjaBurrito New Member

Audiophilia!

You may be asking yourself at this moment: what is being an audiophile? Well in short, spending all your money on high end audio equipment. In long terms, spending money on buy nice audio equipment to further enhance your listening pleasure. So, really, it's all about listening to music with the highest possible sound quality.

Audiophiles have to worry about 3 main parts of their setup:

1. The File
    -This is what most non-audiophiles don't even think about when getting music. The actual file you get impacts the music more than any other thing you can do. Now, most music you get will be in 192kbps. I get most of my music in that, and it serves its purpose. But, I know most people get rips off youtube, and thats in like 56kpbs and grainy, it's... it's just bad. You want to aim for either an MP3 in 320kbps, or some type of lossless format, like FLAC/OGG.

2. The Source
    -The source is what you plug your headphones into. Most people just plug into their computers 3.5mm jack, and it's all good. But, many more options are out there, such as Amps. Amps provide more power to your headphones, so they produce sound better. This is called driving the headphones. Many high end headphones have >300 omh impedance, which your computer cannot provide. You need an amp for that. But, more on that later. The main 2 types of amps are tube, and solid. Tube amps provide a "warmer" sound while solid amps have a darker sound.

3. The Headphones
    -Ah yes, we come to what people know. Now, headphone purchases can be completely overwelming. Just off my head, you can make a purchase on open/closed back, impedance, driver size, difference in padding, cables used, headband length, etc. And, the genres of music you listen to influence a purchase greatly. Headphones can get expensive, fast. The most expensive headphones I know of are the Sennheiser HE-90, an electrostatic monster. These headphones can be up to $10,000 dollars, on the USED market.
    -Another huge subcatagory of headphones are IEM's/In ears/whatever you call them. These generally fall into 2 catagories, Universial Fit and Custom Fit. Universial fit are just the run of the mill IEM's, think UE and Klipsch. Custom Fit are specialized IEM's that are custom molded to your ear and your ear only. These are usually mega expensive (Lowest i've found are 450), but have amazing sound quality, perfect fit, multiple drivers, etc.

Now, I can go on and on about this, talking about such things as:
    -Static/Dynamic/Tube Amplifiers
    -Portable Amps
    -Source componates
    -Wiring
    -Electrostatical Headphones
    -Balenced/Dynamic
    -DAC
    -Soundcards
    -Soundstage

But it's just overwelming.
    Just my stuff:

Please Register or Log in to view images

And yes, i'm THAT bored to be making this thread.
  2. Magnum

Magnum New Member

Altoids!
  3. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    OMG Please continue! I want to learn about this! Please don't stop. Your knowledge is important!
  4. NinjaBurrito

NinjaBurrito New Member

No need to be a jerk.
    EDIT: Thats what she said.
  5. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    You know there's a whole headphone section where most of this has been previously outlined and covered right? Great job though.

I've noticed that on most "average"audio rigs that people use, 320kbps doesn't really make a noticeable difference between 256kbps, and the difference between that and 192 is almost nonexistent. Of course on my ESW10s it makes a fairly big difference and I prefer my music in FLAC but for lower end headphones and rigs it really isn't necessary besides psychologically making you think it sounds better.

Audiophiles by definition aren't really all about music, it's just about sound. Music enthusiasts are all about music. It's the hybrid of the two that is where your definition falls.
  6. NinjaBurrito

NinjaBurrito New Member

To be honest, most people on this forum don't step foot into the headphone section

Please Register or Log in to view images

And to me 320 sounds much better than 192, which 95% of my music is in 192. Just the highs seem alot more crisp, and the lows are more balenced out. Not that i'm a total elitist, I listen to 192 pretty much everyday.
  7. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hm...like I said for just my MacBook Pro speakers and default headphones, I've never really heard the difference between 192 and 320. I think most of my music library is 320 though.
  8. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    you have some nice gear :O
  9. NinjaBurrito

NinjaBurrito New Member

Stupid Zune Pass, everything's in 192 D:
  10. SeanML100

SeanML100 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)