Review Audio Technica ATH-ANC3 QuietPoint Earphones

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by rmc08, Jun 30, 2010.

1. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    [Review] Audio Technica ATH-ANC3 QuietPoint Earphones

Audio-Technica was willing to send me a sample of the JBuds J3 earphones for me to review here at iPod Touch Fans, so you (the reader) can learn about how well this product works, and to also see if the earphones are the right ones for you. This is in no way a biased review, nor is it an advertisement in order to get you to buy their product. This review is strictly my opinion!

Audio Technica QuietPoint ATH-ANC3 Earphone Review

Visit Homepage

Please Register or Log in to view images

Click pictures for VERY high resolution!

First Impressions

I received the box, which is very classy looking. It simply has a cut-out in front, and some descriptions of the earphones on back. I opened up the box and found a variety of stuff. First, there was a nice carrying case, about 5 inches long. Next, there was an audio cable extender, which can come very much in handy. To my surprise, I found a dual airplane adapter inside of the case, for planes such as Continental Airlines (these earphones are meant for planes). And of course with all in-ear earphones, you'll get the different sized ear tips.

Build Quality

The first time I picked the earphones up, they felt cheap since they're so light. But after closely looking at them and using them, I realized that the build quality is very sturdy. The earbuds are not heavy at all, probably among the most light-weight earphones I've ever used, when used correctly. I've also found that the wires on these buds are a lot better than the generic earbud (Apple, SkullCandy, etc.). The wires are rubbery and 100% un-bendable, also contributing toward the "long-lasting" factor. I unintentionally found out that when the earbuds get caught on something and you're walking, they won't rip off (don't try this at home haha). I've had that happen to me way too many times. The box enclosing the battery for noise cancellation attached to the wires seems to have stood up to a lot of hits against walls, chairs, and drops to the floor. At the very most, the battery just fell out. After about 4-6 months, I can conclude these earbuds are pretty damn sturdy!

Comfort Quality

These earphones look nowhere near comfortable, but surprisingly, they are extremely comfortable. You would think that they wouldn't fit too well, but basically it's just covering up the rest of your eardrum. Don't worry a bit about it, it doesn't rub up against the ear either. When using these over long periods of times, I've had no problems with discomfort or anything of that category. One annoyance I have about the earphones, is that when the AAA battery is in the noise isolation box, it weighs it down a good bit, so you MUST have them clipped to your pocket or shirt. If you don't they'll most likely just fall out of your ears. The other thing I want to point out, is when noise isolation is enabled without music playing, it can be uncomfortable since you can hear the isolation algorithm playing. It doesn't really matter too much, since you'll have music on most of the time, but in-between songs may be an annoyance to some.

Audio Quality

I'm glad it took me a while to finally do this review. If I had done it within the first few weeks of using the earphones, I would have had a totally different idea. So here are the 3 topics:

Noise Isolation

Just to briefly talk about how the "noise cancellation box" works, it runs off of a Triple A (AAA) battery, which lasts very long on a single run. I've accidentally left it on for a day or two and it basically had all the power. You can trigger noise isolation through the small gray switch, and you can monitor outside noises by holding the "Monitor" button (basically it just cuts off power to the earphones, can be very useful).

I've only used battery operated earphones once before this, but I must say that the noise cancelation on these, is, for the most part, near perfect. School can be an extremely noisy place, we've all been there... Listening to music in the cafeteria is, for the most part, like listening to music in my bedroom. You can't hear chatter or noises from anyone or anything. Unless you listen obscenely hard, you're not going to hear much except your own breathing. The only thing that is impossible to stop, would be vibrations of the wires from the earphones, and vibration of your seat or other things around you, such as an indoor basketball court. Using these in the plane is basically the same, no noise except for the vibrations of the plane through your body, which obviously can't be stopped. You'd have to experience it to believe it

Bass

I used to think the bass wasn't that great on these, but after burning them in they sounded better to an extent. I'm a bass addict, and they fill my needs, so for the most part I feel that the bass is pretty good after burn in. It's hard to explain exactly how the bass sounds, but if I were to put it into my own words, I'd say it's well over the average standard for bass. Somewhere in-between "A Lot of Bass" and "The Average Amount of Bass". Even though I'm a bass addict, I know that at a certain point too much bass does eventually sound bad. These earphones have a hefty bass, whilst keeping the trebles and mids clear and crisp.

Treble/Mid

I'm somewhat picky when it comes to earphones, and these have a nice, even frequency of sound. Electronic and happy hardcore genres use synthesizers, and these buds can pick up those high sounds well. In the alternative rock genre, high-hats sound really crisp, and drums stand out well, while electric and bass guitar can both be heard without one washing out the other. Guitar/vocal songs such as "Reptilia" by The Strokes keeps the vocals completely audible whilst the guitars and drums play. For the most part, the bass is powerful, but that doesn't stop Treble and Mid from stepping up and pushing through, keeping all the sounds separate from each other.

Well, here's the scores!:

Audio Quality: 9.5

• Noise Isolation: 10.0
    • Bass: 9.5
    • Treble/Mid: 9.0

Noise isolation on these things is AMAZING, deserves the 10! The bass does push through a tiny bit, but the Treble and Mid helps keep all the sound together, sounding even and balanced. The final audio score is extremely accurate.

Build Quality: 9.7

Amazing build quality! Wires are built fantastically, and the earbuds are insanely light-weight.

Comfort: 10.0

For in-ear buds, I find these to be extremely comfortable. A few in-ear buds I own have to be re-adjusted several times until they feel right, but these you pop right in and you're good to go. I was going to bring down the score due to heaviness of the box, but that's the battery's fault, not Audio Technica!

Total Average Score: 9.7

To view more pictures, click me!

2. The Lurker

The Lurker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    could you put photos up with size ratio? like put them on your ipod or something
  3. APV

APV Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Great review!

I would undoubtedly try these headphones because of it...

But...

I'm not a fan for the battery pack noise-cancellation unit on the cord. :'(

So I probably won't.

But, great review!
  4. crovian

crovian Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Very detailed review!
    I wouldn't mind trying one of these actively noise canceling earphones but I agree with APV I wouldn't want the block either...unless I could figure out how to use it easily even when I have clothes over it.
    The design's better than I expected; simple and not overly 'loud' which I like.
    I'm wondering, since you gave them nearly perfect score on every front; how would you say these compare to say...Shure, Ultimate Ears or Sennheiser?
  5. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Thanks

I would say Audio Technica is the closest to Sennheiser, but probably not too close to Shure or Ultimate ears haha. Shure and Ultimate Ears have some pretty amazing earphones, but it really all depends what earphones you're comparing to. Now, if I did a review on the more expensive earphones such as the TripleFi 10VI's, I might have to change the grading scale

Using a point system isn't the most accurate way to grade either haha
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    They are pretty small... I took a pic for you if you want (the box looks really big, but its not big at all, about 2x1 inches):

6. badboy.mjk

badboy.mjk New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Great review.

I'm considering replacing my panasonic rp-hc30 with these.