Audio in Recording-Not Yet

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by suedehead, Sep 22, 2008.

1. suedehead

suedehead New Member

Apple Insider reveals that iPtouch 2G is NOT YET READY FOR RECORDING because it lacks enabling software (or really, firmware).

While it lacks the iPhone's integrated mic next to the dock connector, the new touch now supports audio input via the headphone jack using the same four conductor headphone port as the iPhone. However, the software for audio recording apparently isn't finished yet.

Apple lists the second generation touch as being compatible with the two new sets of mic-enabled headphones due next month, but unlike the 4G nano or 120GB classic, the touch lacks the ability to record audio presently, even with the iPhone's mic/headphones, because there is no software support for it on the touch yet.

Once Apple ships the headphones, the new touch will require a software update. Most likely, the headphones aren't ready because of the software still being unfinished rather than the other way around. Note that earlier iPods, including the first iPod touch and the 2007 3G nano and classic, will never work with mic-enabled headphones because they lack the fourth conductor mic support on their headphone jacks.

Apple hasn't said anything about not releasing audio recording software for the iPhone at the same time, and it would be monstrously stupid if if Apple arbitrarily chose not to offer that.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/09/22/review_apples_second_generation_ipod_touch.html

If you're like me and you want to get the iPt 2G for music recording (esp. 32 GB!) I would wait a couple of months to see if that's really going to be possible, either with Apple software or third party apps.
  2. cainy

cainy New Member

why they didnt bring it in with 2.1.1 i dont know, seems a bit silly to me, unless there gonna charge for the mic app
  3. Shadowriver

Shadowriver Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    There won't be special mic app... they just add Mic support to SDK for iPoT and done. Same as iPhone have
  4. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    damn... i spent $60 on new headphones a few weeks back
  5. calebk

calebk New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I've got a first gen ipod touch and its really annyoying because the 2nd gen touch doesn't have enough good features to go buy one but the little things like mic support and speakers i would really like to have. Oh well
  6. JAD

JAD New Member

That does explain why the headphones aren't being shipped. Doh! And you could buy an unofficial mic for the ipod touch one so that it got sound in, or make your own (but probably not recordable) from the U.S for a few versions of the firmware. Then Apple changed the firmware and the mic in no longer worked. Another case of Apple just not wanting it to for the first touch.

Like it or not I'm getting out the 2G tonight. The spouse has had enough of waiting and is demanding the 1G off me, lol. So unjailbroke here I come. Darn it, back to crippled functionality.
  7. rafuxu

rafuxu New Member