Audio distortion on Ipod?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chuachris78, Jan 8, 2010.

1. chuachris78

chuachris78 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Anyone encounter an audio buzz on their Ipod Touch Gen 3? On tracks featuring vocalists such as Andrea Bocelli or Charlotte Church Pie jesu (1:30) I encounter a buzzing distortion. I load the same tracks onto my Iphone 3G and do not get the same problem, so I know there is nothing wrong with the recording. Had my Ipod swapped with a new one at Apple service, but problem still persists, only not as bad or often, only when the singer hits the high notes. Help, Is this a manufacturing defect as I spent quite a few hundred dollars on my 64 G Ipod? Sorry for being an audiophile. No overheating as it occurs from startup.
  2. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    hm...maybe the headphones? tried external speakers? (not the built-in ones of course =D)
  3. chuachris78

chuachris78 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    same buzzing issue with pretty good Audio Technica Headphones and my Bose surround sound system.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. stephano

stephano New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    audio distortion

I have the same problem with certain singers like Norah Jones and Alicia Keyes.Now i know its not just mine. Have no idea what the deal is doesnt really bother me that much though.
  5. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    hm sometimes it's just the file - some formats are not lossless...dunno
  6. GSHastings

GSHastings New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I have been experiencing what I think may be the same problem. I have a 3G iPod. It seems to be more or less fine with classical or jazz (non-vocal). But when I listen to almost anything with vocals, there is a buzzy distortion. Some of it makes it very annoying to listen to the songs.

I'm not listening at a high volume (about 50% on the scale). The distortion is most pronounced when there is a heavy beat.

I have tried different earbuds. And have listened to my daughters iPod. It sounds the same on hers.

For instance, right now I'm listening to the Song "You" by Britt Nicole on the "Say It" album. Verrrry highly distorted during the chorus.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I just did a couple of tests.
    First I listened to the same song on iTunes on my PC (relatively good sound card, and very good over the ear Sony MDR-V6 headphones). In that test there is a very small amount of distortion.

Then I returned the iPod. WOW, severe distortion by comparison.

Then I went into the iPod setup and turned of the EQ. I usually run it on BassBoost (because the earbuds are a little lacking in bass). Turning off the EQ made a substantial improvement. Putting the EQ to Flat was an improvement, but turning it off entirely was better.

At least the music is now bearable.