Auctioning off my iPod Touch...?

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by TheAppleTree, Mar 21, 2008.

1. TheAppleTree

TheAppleTree Active Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Wait! Moderators, don't move this thread just yet! I swear this has to do with Ipod Themes! Just bear with me...

Alright, so my husband just got an iPhone and switched us to AT&T... and I'm thinking I'll be getting an iPhone for my graduation at the beginning of May... which begs the question, "Why would I need an iPod Touch and an iPhone?" Well, the answer is... I definitely wouldn't.
    BUT I can't really afford to let my iPod sit around or to just give it to a family member or something... After all, we're poor college students (about to be poor graduate students) and if I'm going to afford an iPhone, I'll need some extra cash.

So here was my idea: Since I have some talent with making themes, I thought I would make a few new ones and really give it my all. I'd load them onto my old iPod Touch and show them to everyone on the forum. But I wouldn't release them - Instead I would refer people to my eBay auction and guarantee the following:

Whoever buys my old ipod has the only copy of those themes. I'll even delete them off of my own iPhone and pretend that I never made them. It is then that person's decision whether they want to keep it all to themselves or release them to the public.

Now I know that everybody surfing this forum probably already has an iPod, but I thought they might possibly have a sibling they might want to pass it on to... that is, they could gank the themes off of my iPod and stick it on their own... then gift it to someone else, possibly.
    What do people think about this idea? Would anyone go for it? Is it horribly, horribly cruel? Should I just get myself a donate button and scrap the whole idea?

As a side note: I guess I wanted to post in the themes forum because this is the community that I would hypothetically be offending if I did this - I wanted a reaction from my loyal fans, mainly to see if they would feel betrayed... or like I'd sold out or something like that. I definitely don't want to give anyone that impression. I love providing free themes - this would just be an act of desperation to avoid having to take on a part time job
  2. Mortel

Mortel Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I think it's a great idea.

Please Register or Log in to view images

But the themes would have to be really great to get someone who wasn't already looking for an iPod to consider your offer.

Please Register or Log in to view images

But still, that's a pretty cool idea.
  3. cantcatchme939

cantcatchme939 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Your themes ("yourtheme"..... get it haha. no pun intended) are so good. I really don't know. I'd donate to you if I was old enough or had paypal or something...
  4. the goat

the goat Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    well i wouldnt buy it because ive alreday got a touch, but i assume others would be willing to
  5. iTouch532

iTouch532 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If you turned over the Copyright of your themes or "sell the copyright" well then when someone releases them they can call them their own.

But then people would say no they are not
  6. Crypt

Crypt Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    i think that's a terrible idea ):

mostly 'cos i'm poor

i'd donate to you if you gave me a way to, tho
  7. TheAppleTree

Device:
    iPhone
    Yeah - I guess I mean - they could release them and say something like - "These are the exclusive AppleTree themes that I got from the auction - I'm just such a nice person, I thought I would share with the world!" Everybody would know that they were mine because I would advertise them here on the forum...
    I just mean that I would garauntee that I wouldn't release them and that they could do with them as they pleased.
  8. x6blues

x6blues New Member

you should look into creating a website, some freeweb thing or whatever and set up a download page. everyone, including myself, think you are one of the most talented theme creators on the forum so i am sure many would donate. Just have the website display your themes. you wouldn't even have to run it, just get someone who knows that sh*t and they would do it 4 you...

btw, lol don't really see how this releates to themes, sorta an add-on feature to the product you're selling but whatever.
  9. TheAppleTree

Device:
    iPhone
    lol - just because it's so cruel to everyone who couldn't afford it?
    Well here's a thought - I could put up a donate button and see if I got enough donations to get to the amount that I needed, and use this idea as a last ditch effort if all else failed
  10. TheAppleTree

Device:
    iPhone
    lol - I see what you mean - I guess I wanted to post in the themes forum because this is the community that I would hypothetically be offending if I did this - I wanted a reaction from my loyal fans, mainly to see if they would feel betrayed... or like I'd sold out or something like that. I definitely don't want to give anyone that impression. I love providing free themes - this would just be an act of desperation to avoid having to take on a part time job