ATTN: DEVS: Which SDK (toolchain) is better???

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by bones237, Jul 10, 2008.

1. bones237

bones237 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    I downloaded the official SDK from apple already and I plan to start working with it in the near future. ( I just downloaded the SDK without paying the $99 fee to use the AppStore) but.........
    I have seen quite a few articles about how the open source toolchain ("unofficial" SDK) can compile for the 2.0 FW (am I wrong?) and that using apple's SDK can be a hassle due to certain restrictions in the development process. I hear that there are a few important frameworks that are impossible to communicate with. (unless you plan to distribute thru the AppStore in which case you have to use apple's official SDK. My question is this:

1-Should I delete apple's SDK and instead build the open source toolchain that supposedly will compile for 2.0??

2-Is it true about the restrictions apple places on their SDK?

3-Which is a better toolchain for someone like me who develops really only as a hobby and doesn't plan on releasing anything in the AppStore (unless I make something worthwhile which is doubtful considering I'm still in the learning process)???
  2. optimo

optimo New Member

I think you need to pay $99 to put your programs on to the iphone, just to test them out on real hardware. You can't put an app on to the new device until you get the keys.

The most recent developments with compiling for 2.0 has changed a bit... you can compile apps to run on the simulator, but not until the new firmware is patched in some way will you be able to put apps onto a 2.0 springboard
  3. bones237

bones237 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    thanks for the reply optimo. what ur talking about (running apps on 2.0) is when using apple's SDK, right? If I use the open source toolchain tho, will I be able to build and run apps on the phone itself just like you do now for 1.1.4? What's making me question this is this quote I read that claimed Jonathan Zdziarski was discussing the two toolchains. That quote makes me think that this is possible. If so, then what would be the benefit of using apple's SDK besides being able to distribute thru the AppStore?
    What do you think of question #3 I had in my first post.
  4. optimo

optimo New Member

when they get the jailbreak working, they will also need to patch the springboard to recognize apps without the keys.

If they get all that working, I will be using the open toolchain once again. I still prefer 1.1.4 because of the open-ness.