Attention !! ! ! !

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by alvinjericho, Nov 23, 2007.

1. alvinjericho

alvinjericho New Member

any one could figure out a patch that could make the maps for ipod touch work without any internet. it sucks when im gonna travel and i rely on my touch, but sometimes it doesnt have internet signal.. so anyone out there that is a GODLike on this things,. can you figure out, a patch for the maps.. thanksss.... so i dont need a navigotor anymore..

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    There isnt gonna be a patch for this. If there was, youd have to have a giant image of the whole world so it wouldnt need the internet to download it. That would be a big file and probably take up more space than the ipod can even hold.
  3. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah, unfortunately, unless you've got the new iPod Touch 3000 with 1TB of storage, I think you're outta luck. However, I do think it would be nice if you could plot one or more routes and have them available online.

Alvinjericho - a more informative Subject would be nice when you write posts. And adding the extra three ! aren't really going to make it more important to anyone but you...
  4. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

What he said.

5. avaloncourt

avaloncourt New Member

The closest you're going to get is a hack that's linked elsewhere here. It allows you to increase the cache size but that's really only effective if you're dealing with a localized area. If you're talking long-range travel the others have addresed it adequately. It isn't going to happen with the amount of storage available on the Touch.
  6. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

I believe this is exactly what you are looking for. It takes the directions in your selected route and adds them to the Notes database.

Note, it only works after you make a route, for obvious reasons.

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5242
  7. avaloncourt

avaloncourt New Member

Actually, the beginning of those directions says it takes the text of the directions and makes it a note. He said above he wants maps.

8. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Whoops, my bad. I thought when he said "the maps," that he actually meant "the Maps.app."
  9. 02 turbo

02 turbo New Member

It would be nice if you could save a route with pics, even if it did take a couple gigs
  10. avaloncourt

avaloncourt New Member

By pics do you actually mean maps? It's not as if satellite images are overly useful to someone on the ground. If you mean maps then it already does that the way it is now. For every turn on the list you can tap the turn and get a map section displayed for that turn area. That all gets downloaded when you generate a route. Are you looking for every map segement between every turn? If so, why? It's not as if you're getting real-time mapping like on a GPS. The turn-based maps should be enough for most route use.