Attention Virgin Mobile USA Users: an Email I got.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by freelancer91, Mar 26, 2008.

1. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok, I just received an email from Virgin Mobile USA in response to a question I posed to them.

Apparently, in places like Europe, Virgin Mobile shares its systems with T-Mobile, a GSM system. However, for some reason, in North America, Virgin Mobile still runs on the CDMA system. It is very clear that CDMA can not be currently unlocked on the iphone (hence the reason that I don't have one). But Virgin Mobile USA apparently has future plans to switch it's North American system over to GSM. This means that Virgin Mobile may potentially be able to be unlocked.

I think Virgin Mobile is blowing smoke up our butts by saying that it can only run on their phones. I have complete faith that the Iphone Dev Team will be able to figure it out. Tell me what you guys think.
  2. donkeychill

donkeychill Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Wow I might end up getting a iPhone then
  3. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  4. JustinCarpenter

JustinCarpenter New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    It is true. The software they have will only work with their phones. Also, it is not the software that allows the phone to run. That is something completely opposite. There is NO way the iPhone will EVER work on North American Virgin Mobile.
  5. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It already works in the UK, right? Why not in the states?
  6. JustinCarpenter

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Because in the UK, Virgin Mobile uses a protocol called GSM which T-Mobile uses. Here in the US, Virgin Mobile uses CDMA which Sprint and Verizon currently use.

The iPhone has a GSM radio in it, and therefore will not work in the US.
  7. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You have just missed the entire point of this post. The email describes how Virgin Mobile USA is about to change over from CDMA to GSM. Next time read the posts.....>_<
  8. xitz your fearx

xitz your fearx Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    no you missed a major part in your own email. LOL CHOOB. it said it MAY in the NEAR future. that mean that it is possible that it will and it is possible that it wont. near future? that could be from 1 month to 3 years, and by them im sure apple will have teamed up with better phone companies and will then by hacking will easily be able to support CDMA.
  9. JustinCarpenter

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Also, they said you can't unlock any phone to work with their service besides their own. I am sure there is special programming that only allows use on their network. I know when I used them, I had to put my serial number in online, and when I tried to use a different phone with the same programming details, it wouldn't work. I called them up and they said they keep track of serial numbers to prevent stealing.

So, like I said before. NO iPhone will EVER work on Virgin Mobile.
  10. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'm sure that's what AT&T said when the Iphone first came out. Fast foward a few months and look where we were. I would never bet against the Iphone dev team.

On top of that. GSM is starting to make major inroads in North America. Europe is ahead of North America when it comes to telecommunications. We are slowly but surely catching up. CDMA is outdated and on the way out. I'll be damned it they don't switch over. I don't care how long it takes.