Attention BSD/Spam/Ziphone Error sufferers - The definititive 1.1.4 Jail Break Guide!

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.4 Jailbreak' started by nashville, Mar 8, 2008.

1. nashville

nashville New Member

Note! This maybe limited to my experience, but I'm pretty certain this will work for all.

My story: iTouch 8 gb Version 2 ( V2 )
    None of quick fix solutions worked. None! Spend days trying them all. But, I've finally found the solution. Its long, and theres room for error along the way, but the results are fantastic!

How?
    Requires downgrade to 1.1.1
    Jailbreak
    Upgrade to 1.1.2
    Soft-upgrade using the DevCon TeaM 1.1.4 mobile upgrade

Solutions I tried that didn't work:
    All version of ZiPhone
    iJailbreak
    Button Mashing solution for 16 / 32 gbs
    Bunch of others... This one works

Tools and Stuff needed:
    - 1.1.1 Firmware
    - 1.1.2 Firmware
    - 1.1.2 Jailbreak Software

- iTunes 7.5 (Windows, only download if you need to)
    - iTunes 7.5 (Mac, only download if you need to)

- WiFi
    - In "Settings->General" set "Auto-lock" to "Never"

PART I
    Downgrade to 1.1.1
    Follow this guide - 1.1.4 Downgrade! - Thanks to ballinjace

PART II
    Jailbreak your iPod up to 1.1.2
    This is a long process, so I've cut and paste and slightly edited a guide from G3 Fusion & Apple Guys post: here
    Pay them a visit, and Thanks guys!

Step 1: Download All Required Files
    - iPod Touch firmware 1.1.1
    - iPod Touch firmware 1.1.2
    - Jailbreak files
    - iTunes 7.5

Step 2: Jailbreak Your iPod on 1.1.1
    1) On your iTouch use Safari to browse to the following website: www.jailbreakme.com
    2) Scroll Down and install AppSnapp. Your iPod will now automatically restart (if not hit the Home button on your iPod touch). Once done, you slide to unlock and you should now have the “Installer” application icon on your menu! Congratulations your are now have a jailbroken iPod touch. But we aren’t done quite yet; we need to upgrade back to firmware 1.1.2.

Step 3: Install Oktoprep & SSH
    1) Tap the Installer icon.
    2) Click on the “Install” icon on the bottom panel
    3) Go to "Sources"
    4) Click "Edit" then select "Add": then input source 'http://hackthatphone.com/1.xml' - refresh
    5) Click "Install" then All Packages
    6) Now find “Oktoprep” and tap it. Click on the “Install” button on the top panel and it should install.
    7) You will now get a message stating that your iPod is ready to be upgraded to 1.1.2. Hit OK.
    8) Hit the Home button (the physical button at the bottom of your iPod) to take you back to your menu. Your iPod should now automatically reboot. Slide to unlock it and set it down somewhere.

Step 4: Upgrade Firmware back to 1.1.2
    NOTE: Key here is to hit UPDATE not restore in iTunes, otherwise you get the oktoprep error
    1) Install iTunes 7.5 - Now Open iTunes 7.5 up and click on your iPod touch on the left column,
    2) Hold down the shift key and click on the “Check for Update” button (Mac users hold down ALT instead).
    3) Browse for the iPod Touch firmware 1.1.2 file you downloaded and open it. It should automatically update and restart your iPod.

PART III: Jailbreak Your iPod to 1.1.4 using DevCon TeaM's Softupgrade
    Here's the link with all the info on that
    Softupgrade 1.1.4

This last part requires a long download onto iTouch (20-45mins).
    NOTE: as the post states, the process might appear like its frozen on downloading installer, and that if it has taken longer than 45 mins, to manually restart.

This happened to me. I waited an hour to be safe, and manually restarted, even though the progress bar stated otherwise. But...

Low and behold - 1.1.4 with Installer App!!!

BAM - Amazing work DevCon team, and everyone who help put these solutions and this post together.

Enjoy!

P.S.: As a final note, I have not extensively tested this yet, but everything seems to be in order (iTunes recognizes it, music plays, etc.)
  2. Cheater912

Cheater912 New Member

This isn't a Jailbreak. It's a Soft Update and there are plenty of guides showing you how to do it.
  3. nashville

nashville New Member

Yes, I know this, but they are disparately posted, and it was a challenge to stitch them all together when coming up with the final solution. So I pasted them all together here, with credits.

Trust me, if I had had this, I'd have been so happy. So just trying to get this to the right people.

And correct me if I'm wrong but the bottom line purpose of this all is to be able to install 3rd part apps (at least for most), and so I threw aout the JB term as a means to communicate that this solution achieves that. But apologies to elites for improper use.
  4. cameleon1267

cameleon1267 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    What do you mean by ipod touch 8Go 2nd version ?

I have never heard of a 2nd generation of ipod touch.
    ziphone 2.4 should definitely work well with a 8Go ipod touch. no need to take the long road of downgrading to 1.1.1.

if you got the spamming AT error using ziphone, I think someone found one version that is working with no error.
  5. nashville

nashville New Member

v2 is referencing software release 2. From the sounds of it, many who have this software release or newer itouches (myself included) cannot go the ziphone route. We get the constantly looping BSD Root error. Its freaking annoying, and drives ya crazy in your quest to crack that the thing.

The only way, I've tried too many, has been the one listed above. So its for those people who have tried everything else. I tried btw ziphone 1.0, 2.0. and 2.5c, not 2.4 so that may work, but I honestly doubt it, based on my experience.
  6. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I've never heard of this problem or V2.
    Now people will start using that term, even though it makes no sense, seeing as there have been more than two software updates.
    Why not just say 1.1.3 out of the box or with January applications?

I'll be testing this soon and hopefully proving that there is no difference between any 8GB devices.
  7. hades86

hades86 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Will this method keep my January applications?
  8. 8gigaPodTouch

8gigaPodTouch New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    iTouch 8gb V2 & iTunes 7.5

Please Register or Log in to view images

using DevCon/Elite team(mobile jailbreak) or whatever, they're method works for me flawlessly using ordinary donwgrading (DFU) and my iTunes 7.6

from updating to 1.1.4 to downgrade to 1.1.1 then JB1.1.1 install oktoprep, using my iTunes 7.6 shift click update to 1.1.2, then JB1.1.2 install pre req. for JB1.1.4, that's simple.

ahmm just sharing what i did, so i never downdate my iTunes just the normal and simple way of Jailbreaking

btw what is iTouch 8gb V2

to hades86: i think there's no way to keep ur apps all method must be a fresh JB1.1.2 to have flawless JB1.1.3/4
  9. ryane516

ryane516 New Member

I have just use ziphone 2.5c on my 8gb without problems at all....

Just do a complete restore to 1.1.4 and exit itunes run ziphone and done!

Well of course we have different ways to jailbreak so I respect your method and admire how you put it in a solution...
  10. Apple Guy

Apple Guy Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Some don't know what they're talking about these days.