Attaching an external hard drive or card reader?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by drjones18, Jun 22, 2009.

1. drjones18

drjones18 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Does anyone know if someone is working on an app that will let ipod touch recognize external hard drives or USB connected card readers so that one could effectively expand the memory on a touch? I've looked around and it looks like there isn't anything out now...but maybe someone is working on it?
  2. SKINWALKER

SKINWALKER New Member

If they did. It would probably have to be externally powered. It would drain the iPod fast if it was an actually hard drive that spins. I flash drive would be a lot less but still would consume power.
  3. IceBerg

IceBerg New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I was thinking that with 3.0 apple opened up the dock port to 3rd party apps but I've not seen anything about that lately. If that is so you might see something like he iphone battery packs for devices but that also expand with memory and or card readers. However there has been no mention of any such device as of yet.
  4. drjones18

drjones18 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    thanks, I was just making sure.
    I'll keep my eyes open in case something comes up.
    oh and one interesting thing is the work on porting linux. If they get linux running on the touch, we could definitely get a card reader going (good point about battery life, maybe hard drive isn't the way to go).
  5. dlstc

dlstc Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    They sell an SD card reader for older iPods called the iAlbum, but the SD cards had to be 256 MB or less and only certain brands.