ATT: Guitar players wanting to Record using 4Track Apps

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by fenderf1, Jan 5, 2009.

1. fenderf1

fenderf1 New Member

This relates to a post i have about Belkin/Macally Ivoice dock-based recorders.
    (I have a 2G with firmware 2.2 and found my Belkin TuneTalk works)

I'm a guitar player and having dl'd Gig Live! Fourtrack for only $0.99 and knowing that my Belking TuneTalk works with line-in but with mediocre sound quality I wanted to see...have any of you tried recording the guitar on the Ipod Touch?

This would be a great tool on-the-go along with the Sonoma 4Track ($9.99 on App Store) but I only want to shell this out if I can improve the sound quality.

Can someone please try another device and let me know what you find?

Please note: I want to use the 3.5mm Line-In not a microphone. This is the beauty of the Belkin/Macally units...so you can plug your guitar in directly via an 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter.
  2. craynerd

craynerd New Member

Would also love to know! How do you expect you would line-in to the ipod?
  3. fenderf1

fenderf1 New Member

I just tried it last night craynerd, and after switching to a better cable and 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter it worked great!

Here's my setup:
    Ipod Touch 2G firmware 2.2
    Belkin TuneTalk
    1/4" to 3.5mm adapter
    1/4" guitarcord
    Zoom 505

App: Gig Live! Four Track ($.99 on Itunes)

I was able to record directly into my Ipod Touch with pretty good sound quality this time with no "popping"! Any hiss was probably due to the Zoom which isn't the best unit. This turns the Ipod Touch into a viable "mobile" 4 track...obviously this isn't studio quality but if I'm jamming around and want to quickly lay down a few ideas it works well.

The only issues was that the Belkin was designed for the old Ipods with the headphone jack on top. It blocks the Touch's headphone jack so you have to remove it to play it back etc. The Macally Ivoice III won't do that but I'd like to hear from someone that it works before paying $30 for a new mic.
  4. craynerd

craynerd New Member

sorry, I`m lost, what is the tunetalk? Can you explain exactly how you are connected, I`m going to try this!!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    EDIT: so the belkin tunetalk going into the touch, then the guitar 1/2inch lead stepped down to a 3.5mm with the adaptor and then this into the belkin?

Because the headphone jack also doubles as a mic on the new 2g, can you not go straight into the headphone jack with the 3.5mm input from the guitaR?
  5. beebop

beebop New Member

Nice idea.. i've tried it today with my zoom g2 and i couldn't hear hardly any feedback... just the slight overdrive hiss.
  6. craynerd

craynerd New Member

Also do you mean gigbaby! 4 track recorder? I can`t find gig live!

have you a link?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    How did you input the guitar - also via a belkin?
  7. fenderf1

fenderf1 New Member

Yep, it's Gigbaby! 4 Track Recorder sorry about that.

http://www.iometics.net/GigBaby!/

Regarding the Ipod Touch Headphone/Mic Jack: I couldn't get the Ipod to recognize a signal when I tried it this way. The only way I could get to work this way is using my Blackberry 3.5mm headphones/mic but this only allows me to record using a microphone.
    You'll notice on these types of headphone/mics (inc apples) there is a third ring on the plug which is the mic, by plugging in directly you don't activate this capability.

Ok so here are the links to the Belkin TuneTalk and the Adapter plug required:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=277661

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=118&sku=40636

For Input:

1) Turn Ipod Off. Plug the Belkin TuneTalk into the Ipod Touch dock (If you get an unsupported popup, turn it off and on again, sometimes I get this message and other times I don't).

2) Plug the adapter plug (3.5mm pin) into the bottom of the Belkin TuneTalk's line in leaving the 1/4" end open.

Note: There is an Autogain switch on the TuneTalk - I found the audio quality improved when I had this turned off.

3) Plugin the guitar directly or via an FX box using a regular guitar cable INTO the Adapter plug

3a) So at this point you have: Ipod Touch > Belkin TuneTalk> 3.5mm to 1/4 Adapter Plug> Guitar Cable > Guitar

4) Turn Ipod On

5) Enable the track on GigBaby "REC" then the Record button and play instrument.

6) YOU SHOULD SEE THE RED LIGHT ON THE BELKIN TUNETALK TURN ON while recording. If it isn't on try wiggling the Belkin unit or disconnect it and retry.

7) You should see the EQ level meter on GigBaby active while recording.

8) Once done recording hit the Stop button. You should now see that GigBaby has recognized the recording and shows you how many seconds it is along with an Erase Button.

Let me know how this works for you, or if anyone finds a better way to do this.

It's actually not that tricky to do give it a shot.
  8. craynerd

craynerd New Member

Hi, thanks for that, it is just the Belkin is quite expensive for me at the moment!

Seriously, just wondering if you plug in your guitar directly to the headphone jack and then just lift it out a little, does that work? Basically, it won`t brake your ipod but it may allow the 3.5mm connector to "hit" the mic connetors inside the ipod socket.

Chris