AT&T Plans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DWY, Jun 30, 2010.

1. DWY

DWY Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    My contract with AT&T ends February. I was wandering If I can upgrade from my current phone to the iPhone4 for $200? My main question is, do we have to pay the smart phone plan for the iPhone4 each month? Which is $30 a month. Because I heard you dont have to. You can just use Wi-Fi internet if you want. Like the iPod touch.
  2. DeadlyD™

DeadlyD™ New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I think you do have to buy a data plan.
  3. ripply

ripply Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If you upgrade to it and buy it for $199 they will make you get data. The only way to go without data is to buy the phone from someone else and just switch your sim card from the old phone if you didn't have data.
  4. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    You must buy a data plan if you buy the phone from AT&T or any retailer; however, the $30 plan has been phased out, replaced by $15 and $25 plans (200MB and 2GB respectively)
  5. hydropunk

hydropunk New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure they will stick you on a data plan regardless of the source where you got the phone. They do sweeps (monthly?) and if you are on an iPhone they add it to your plan.

That said, you could always use the iphone as a prepaid phone (i.e. GoPhone), and then just use wifi all the time.
  6. Spam

Spam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You can get the $15 data plan when you
    buy your iPhone 4, use it for a month, then call AT&T and tell them that you sold your phone away and have your data removed. Thats what i did and i saved a lot of money.