iPhone 3GS AT&T iPhone 3GS launch day pre-orders sold out

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by studangerous, Jun 14, 2009.

1. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

Please Register or Log in to view images

Despite the crazy upgrade prices, AT&T are warning that any new iPhone 3GS pre-orders made from Saturday the 13th onwards won't be available on the launch day, June 19th, and will be available and shipped out seven to fourteen days after the order is made.

A positive sign that overall demand at this iPhone launch could be even busier that the 3G. The pre-order system is newly implemented for this launch to try and avoid the heavy demand and resultant queues at retail outlets that occurred on 3G launch day.

Anyone in the US who hasn't already pre-ordered and wants an iPhone 3GS on June 19th will have to get in queue with all the others at an AT&T outlet or head over with their sleeping bag and thermos to an Apple shop, Best Buy or Walmart.

Source: Apple Insider
  2. chachin1

chachin1 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    hahahahaha i got my reserved iphone3gS

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Unreal Boy

Unreal Boy Member

Device:
    iPad
    camping out for an iphone, sounds fun
  4. ZunePod

ZunePod Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    No surprise here, I bet there's already 3 or 4 million pre-ordered, plus the ones that have to wait a week.
  5. glassguitar75

glassguitar75 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I wish i had the money too buy one
  6. Punkpat

Punkpat Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    This is F'ing great. I told my dad we needed to pre-order Yesterday or they will sell out and look what happens. I am so F'ing Pissed!
  7. StrictNon-Conformist

StrictNon-Conformist New Member

No such thing as a crazy upgrade price...

What got things all confused from the way things are normally done is Apple rocked their own cart with the first generation of iPhone, which was not subsidized by the phone companies (where that applies, probably everywhere the first generation was sold: definitely the case for AT&T in the US) and the end-users paid the full price for them when they got them, or (I'm not sure about this) there was at least a much lower percentage of subsidy from the phone companies than is typical. However, along comes a new generation, and a lot of people with 2 year contracts (at least, in the US: individual phone companies and their contracts may vary) that aren't past the standard upgrade point, so people need to pay something more than the new customer/point of time the old phone was paid off price, and... the iPhone 3 GS is sufficiently expensive hardware without the subsidy hiding the price, that people cough up hairballs when they see that price, when in reality, it is no more than the way that phones have been subsidized or charged for with other phones in contracts, and no comparable phone for hardware costs will cost you any less to buy without the benefit of getting it subsidized by being a new customer, or an eligible existing customer past that no-penalty upgrade point.

So, call it like it is for the upgrade price and people's reactions: people being stupid and forgetting how things work in every other part of the mobile world, and somehow thinking Apple is doing something different or outrageous. I guess iPhone mania makes a lot of people stupid!
  8. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    lol... not a big queue for the launch date...

but laready sold out!

wow.
  9. RoYaLx

RoYaLx Member

Device:
    HTC One
    Looks like I will be borrowing my friends tent again!
  10. himynameisjuan

himynameisjuan Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Is it really that big of a deal? I mean, I'm sure most of us aren't desperate for a compass and video recording...