AT&T capping upload speeds

Discussion in 'Front page news archive' started by News Bot, Jul 6, 2010.

1. News Bot

News Bot iFans.com News

2. mikeac

mikeac Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I laugh at AT&T.

T-Mobile. 'nuff said.
  3. Al Roker

Al Roker New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Wait, why is capping upload speeds necessary?
  4. edgar-ny

edgar-ny Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    that sucks
  5. H3X

H3X New Member

It may pay off, because it could lower the total bandwidth and increase download speed and range. That said, the ultimate goal would be to have an uncapped upload speed and max download speed and range.

Also, kbps is kilobits per second, not kilobytes per second. A byte is 8 bits. You said in the article it's normally 1 megabyte per second. That would be 8 megabits per second, which is unbelievably fast. All download speeds are measures in bits, not bytes.
  6. Zedoack

Zedoack Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    My download speed isn't that good over WiFi... :'(

But wow...

Please Register or Log in to view images

What could having the upload restricted that much possibly be needed for?
  7. SpecKK

SpecKK New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Transmission and Reception are asymmetric events between tower and handset. When a tower sends out data, it can send it at fairly high power in a limited direction(usually 120 degrees from base station).

I have seen nothing to suggest direction controls in handsets. I believe cell phones tend to broadcast in all directions from a smaller antenna at a lower power. All 3 of those factors would diminish signal strength and increase the need for greater spectrum space between signals to avoid noise loss.

I can see definite battery life extension from slowing down a power intensive transfer. It could be about making your iPhone battery life look somewhat less depressing. Or cutting back on officially reported radiation emission into your body. That said, it would be nice if users could turn off this "feature" when they really wanted something sent fast.

I can see concerns about performance for all customers prompting upload caps as a preventative measure in congested markets, but there's little reason to cap underutilized base stations elsewhere.
  8. mikeac

mikeac Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Average consumers in the USA measure speed as KB/s, or KiloBytes per second. When most people do kbps in the US, they either don't know the difference between kb and KB, or made a typo.
  9. hydropunk

hydropunk New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    To clarify, what he's saying here is the article should read 1 megabit or 1 Mbps.
  10. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    No, we don't. Speeds are always measured in kbps.

Interesting. I wonder what they consider to be "West Houston" because I'm on the west side of the city right now and my upload speed is 1267kbps.