AT&T banwith isuess becuase of the iPhone my ass

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dunuck, Jul 28, 2010.

1. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    AT&T bandwidth isuess becuase of the iPhone my ass

I heard countless times people defending AT&T saying things like "if Verizon had the iPhone they would be in the same condition of AT&T" (if not worse) Because of the the bandwidth hit of so many iPhone users. they basically blame the iPhone of AT&T crappy network bandwidth

Well guess what: Verizon smartphones use more data than the iPhone

Please Register or Log in to view images

Via Gizmodo
  2. TakenAppleDownAPeg

TakenAppleDownAPeg Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    thank you for the data, but did you know that AT&T owns a good portion of the fiber that connects Verizon's towers to the internet?
  3. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    So now it's ok to compare a single phone on one network to EVERY smartphone on another and call it a fair comparison? Interesting.

I dislike AT&T and their empirical policies as much as the next guy, but comparing Verizon as a whole to a single device is ridiculous. This isn't even Verizon vs. AT&T or Android vs. iPhone. It's Verizon vs. iPhone, and it makes no sense.
  4. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    That's a same.
  5. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    @ Awal
    Not as a whole
    Don't you get the point?
    Every Verizon smartphone on average uses more data than the iPhone NOT all smarphones as whole i.e( crappy windows mobile phones individual users alone use more data than iphone users or Android users alone use more data than iPhone users) Get it?

On average individual Verizon users (individual being the key work here) use much more data than the individual iPhone users (AT&T main/most used smartphone) , not all phones as a whole

The point of this article is to show that Verizon revives a much bigger hit due to the users using much more data , yet its network perform much better than AT&T crappy network (which btw removed the unlimited data the plan

)

Which renders useless claims that is because of the iPhone that AT&T has crappy service or that if Verizon had the iPhone they would be ion the same situation
  6. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    The key word that you seem to be ignoring is average. That means that they're taking the average data use by ALL smartphone users on Verizon and comparing that figure to the average data use by only iPhone users. In doing so, they're completely ignoring data consumption by phones in the business field on AT&T, such as Blackberries.

I'm not defending AT&T. They have major problems and everyone knows it. I'm merely pointing out the fallacy of this article and the comparison itself.
  7. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Not at all
    Every Verizon smartphone on average uses more data than the iPhone NOT all smarphones as whole i.e( crappy windows mobile phones individual users alone use more data than iphone users or Android users alone use more data than iPhone users) Every being the keyword here

See here:
    Is showing a clear facts, That there are 2 times more individual verizon users that use 500MB-1GB. If half the iPhone users use that, how do you spect that number to rise significantly adding other smarphones from AT&T that use even lower amount of data

So pretty sure blackberries phone would end up using much lower amount of data. Not to mention most blacberry users are business people would mainly need it to for emails, text and calls

And even if it was averaged
    In the average language every Verizon smartphone alone would use more data than the iPhone, which is the smartphone thats uses the most amount of data on AT&T

How is that not fair? On that average every smartphone alone uses more data than the iPhone, bring on the other AT&T smarphone and the numbers will remain the same, those others AT&T smarphones alone would use even fewer data (unless there is a AT&T smarthone that use more data than the iPhone)
  8. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    You're not understanding me at all. I never said that EACH smartphone should be compared. The study uses the average of ALL smartphones on Verizon. For it to be a fair comparison statistically, the average of ALL smartphones on AT&T should be used as well. Please pay attention to the wording in my posts.

This study is great for those people that think AT&T sucks because of the iPhone itself, but that doesn't change the fact that it's not statistically "fair".

Blackberry was a bad example on my part. I didn't consider the data compression. There are, however, many smartphones on AT&T that are used for business purposes and consume much more data on average than iPhones (of which the vast majority are used for personal reasons). Since all Verizon smartphones were averaged, I'm assuming that business usage was considered as well (unless I missed a caveat somewhere in the article).

Trust me, I'm not trying to say that AT&T doesn't have any problems. Compared to Verizon, AT&T is terrible. That's pretty much a given. I'm a stickler for unbiased and statistically accurate studies, however, and as such can't overlook the details. It's a fault, but one that has served me pretty well academically.

I'm also not claiming that the data would be any different if all smartphones on both networks were compared. Verizon users frequently have better signal strength and coverage than AT&T users, giving them more opportunities for data consumption, so the results may be even more skewed. Nonetheless, I want to see a comparison of ALL smartphones rather than just one versus a multitude.
  9. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Is showing a clear facts, That there are 2 times more individual verizon users that use 500MB-1GB. If half the iPhone users use that, how do you spect that number to rise significantly adding other smarphones from AT&T that use even lower amount of data
    Show me ONE AT&T smartphone that uses more data than the iPhone
    Business phones use much more fewer data, because they are mainly use for emails, texts and calls which draw an insignificant small amount of data

Again the point of this article is to show that iPhone would not cause Verizon the issues/problems that AT&T has which problem do not lie on the iPhone
  10. KerrWasHere

KerrWasHere Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    1.6% vs 4.0%

Now what is this percent out of, just because its higher by 2.4 doesnt mean they have more people.